chapter one

chapter one | babys out for summer.

1
IT was a warm sunny day, 1993, in the town of derry, the sun gleaming down brightly on the school windows as a class of teens lay bored, awaiting the final bell. amongst the class was winona adams, a seventeen year old girl, with pale skin, shoulder length black hair and green eyes, biting on her nail as her eyes focused on the clock rather than mr patterson, who clearly noticed.

"miss adams." she was suddenly startled out of her day dream, looking back down to earth to see her teacher glaring. "miss.. adams?" he repeated, crossing her arms. "uhm.. uh.. yes?" she startled, tilting her head, "yes, sir?"

"do you possible have an answer to what i just asked?" he scoffed, raising a brow. but winonas mind wasn't on whatever the hell he was saying, her mind was on summer, one more bell to go and she would be free for months, having to do nothing other than drink, laugh and spend time with her friends.

winonas friends were a weird bunch, one that no one really liked that much, but that didn't effect the love she felt for them all individually. whenever drews parents got divorced, winona got quiet. she lost her ability to keep up with friends and from twelve to fourteen she was basically alone. until one day she found beverly marsh locked in the girls bathrooms, unable to leave due to having her dress cut up by the mean girls, labelling her as the slut of the school.

winona knew all the rumours about bev, but in that moment she was just a crying girl, so winona gave her her gym shorts, and they walked out of the school together.

since then winona grew into one of the losers herself, gaining friendships left, right and centre. bill denrough, the boy with the stutter. eddie kaspbrak, the one with all the germs. stanley uris, the jewish one. ben handscom, the sweet one. mike hanlon, the homeschooled one. and richie tozier, the one with the giant wang. winona loved all her friends individually, but still as a group, the teens were inseparable.

"winona!" her teacher shouted, causing her to jump once more, "oh- uh- uhhh-" and with that, the bell rang loudly, erupting the class and saving winona ass, amongst the class she camouflaged herself in the wave of students standing and lifting their books. which winona ignored, only taking her empty bag and leaving books there, speeding out the door. winona slowed once in the hallway, sighing in relief and just trying to get through the sea of people, before she noticed a particularly curly head of hair infront of her.

"stan!" she grinned, her arm trying its best to wrap around the much taller boys neck, stanley jumping before realising who it was and smiling softly, "excited to be free?" he asked, raising a brow, "how could you not b-"
"hey- hey guys- hey!" the two heard from behind them, little eddie shoving through the mass of people, "i swear if people dont- get out of my way!" he snapped, huffing as winona rolled her eyes, "no ones gonna move if they can't see you, ed?" she teased, eddie fake laughing, "fuck you." he snapped, shoving out of the high schools front doors and breathing out freely, "felt i was fucking suffocating." he grunted, getting his inhaler out of his pocket as winona walked out towards the road. stan followed, "what are you gonna do today, winnie?"

"i know what your doing: eddies mom," a call came across the grass, and winonas face lit up to see the remainder of her friends bar mike, richie with a shit eating grin as he wiggled his brows at stan and eddie who just glared back. "winnie!" bev grinned, "wanna head down to the ollys diner? ben asked me down for a coke?" she asked, walking over and taking winonas hand with an excited smile. ben behind her, not looking as excited, which she caught, raising a brow. she felt as if she was the only person who wasn't an idiot as she chuckled, "nah, i'll pass.. you two go have fun." winona nodded, pulling bev in for a hug, only to wink at ben when doing so, which only made him blush red.