Prologue

Tobias' choosing ceremony

(Kaia Eaton Above)

I was sitting there next to my brother holding his hand waiting for the moment that our father called his name .

" I love you" Tobias said as his name was called. "No matter where I am I will always love you"

"I love you too Tobi" I say as we stand together

He then proceeded to hug me and kiss me on the forehead before walking up to the bowls and taking the knife from our fathers hands. I still had hope that he would stay but as he cut his hand I knew that he wouldn't, that he couldn't .

He wouldn't survive if he did.

Then I heard his blood sizzle on the hot coals of dauntless, heard my father's voice shout the name , in both disbelief and anger.

I saw my brother start down the stage toward his new faction, his new home when he looked towards me. He gave me a small smile.

It said "I wish I didn't have to leave, that I could take you with me."

But I knew he couldn't. That for the next four years I was going to be alone in the hands of our father without him to save me from the blows as he did all these years since our mother passed.

I gave him one as well, blurred by my tears that said "I forgive you, I'll see you again"

Then he was lost in the sea of black and I turned forward just as my fathers eyes focused on me. They said that I was going to feel my brothers betrayal when we got home. And I did.

I felt it everyday for four years.