9. A chance at a family (Ella and Trevor)

My heart hammered in my chest. It was the third one I had taken this month. I took one every week despite knowing it would probably come back negative.

This time I felt good. This time was different.

My hands shook as I picked up the pregnancy test. I turned it over.

My body crumpled to the ground. I tried to hold back the sob that had bubbled out of me. I felt defeated.

Why wasn't it working? It had been two years since I told Trevor I was sick of waiting. I wanted to have a baby more than anything. While now was not the ideal time to get pregnant I didn't care. I wanted a family and the time would never be right. Life was hectic, that was just the facts.

I threw the test against the bathroom wall and curled up into a ball on the floor. I stopped holding back my tears and just let them pour out of me.

I had lost hope, if it didn't happen in all this time I didn't see that it happening any time soon.

There was a soft knock on the door.

I didn't bother to answer I just closed my eyes and let my emotions dominate my body.

"Ella," They said softly on the other side of the door.

I still didn't say anything. I knew I wanted them to open the door and just hold me. I wanted my husband to just wrap me up in his arms and tell me everything was going to be ok but it wasn't. There was something wrong.

Maybe we had waited too long. Maybe I should have pushed to have a baby sooner. I was thirty, I knew that my fertility rates were only going to start decreasing. It was only going to get harder from here on out.

"I'm coming in." He announced and pushed the door open.

It felt like only a second before I felt his arms snake around me and he body press against mine. He was here, just like he always was.

The sound of nails hitting the tile alerted that the last member of our family had arrived to join in on the floor laying.

His furry face set itself right in front of me. He seemed to smile as he licked the tears off my face.

Macho was an adorable golden doodle that had won my heart the second I saw him at the shelter. He always seemed to be able to cheer me up.

"Macho." I laughed and swatted his snout away from my face as he tried to lick me again.

He barked and jumped up happily. He never liked when I was upset.

"I think it's time to get up." Trevor pushes himself up and extended his hand to me.

I happily took it and followed him into our bedroom. He just crawled onto the bed and Macho eagerly followed curled up right next to Trevor.

I cuddled up in my husbands arms. This is where I felt the safest. This was my home. No matter where I was, if his arms were around me I was home.

"It's going to be ok." He kissed the side of my head and just held me tightly.

"I just want a baby." Tears started to well up in my eyes again.

"Me too." He sighed.

I felt like I was letting him down. If I couldn't have a baby I'd be taking that away from him too.

I knew what I had to do, I had to go to the doctor. I knew Trevor wouldn't suggest it considering I had shut it down all the times he suggested it. I didn't want to go and have them tell me what I already knew. The fear had stopped me before but now I couldn't ignore it. I had no other options.

I had told Trevor I was going to spend the day with Caitlynn but instead I sat in the waiting room of the doctors office. I got the quickest appointment I could and now it felt real.

I was getting my results back.

"Ella Walker." The doctor called out.

I stood up and hurried through the door.

I followed her into her office and sat in the chair. She picked up the file sitting on the desk and read through it real fast.

"So you are just going to get your results back today." She stated.

I nodded. My hands shook as I waited for her to give me the news.

"We ran a few tests checking different possibilities. Your egg count is about what we would expect from a thirty year old. It's on the low side but shouldn't be causing any problems since you are trying right now." She explained.

I just nodded along with what she was saying.

"The main reason I can see that you would be having these problems would be that you have what we would call a hostile uterus. This can be caused by low estrogen levels so we would want to put you on hormones to try to correct it."

"A hostile uterus?" I didn't even understand what that meant.

"Yeah, the mucus produces by the cervix is basically killing the sperm. In a normal uterus sperm could live up to 5 days but in a hostile uterus they would last at most a couple hours." She said.

I felt my heart drop. So it was my fault.

"You can fix it?" I asked.

"We can put you on hormones and it should help." She nodded.

I let myself breathe. Everything was going to be ok.

"I'll write you a prescription, there are a couple options but from what I see I think this one would be the best. If it doesn't work we can always try something else." She scribbled something out on a piece of paper and handed it to me.

"Thank you so much." I smiled and took the paper.

She just gave me the one thing I had wanted for years. She saved me. With this paper I would have a chance at a family. That's really all I wanted.

A/n:

I really can't stop. I just love my characters so much. I have visions of how their lives turn out and I just want to share my visions with you guys.

If you want to see any chapters from any other characters let me know! I love hearing from you guys!!

If you enjoyed this bonus chapter don't forget to comment and vote!

-Cora Leigh