10. Opening day (Ella and Trevor)

Trevor's POV-

"Are you nervous?" My wife asked.

I nodded. This was a something we both spent a long time trying to put together. Ella gave up so much of her life for me. I had put her through more than I wanted to admit. I knew how upset she was when I went against her wishes and didn't leave the army after my injury. Despite it breaking her heart she stood by me. It wasn't until I was twenty eight that I finally decided to get my business degree.

The second I told her I was staying for good she tried to start a family. While things didn't work out the way we had initially planned, things always happen for a reason.

I looked around the room we were in. I couldn't help but smile. This was what we had spent the last year on. It was after my second year in business school that I decided I wanted to do something good. I wanted to open a veterans center. I knew how hard it was to come back home after years of serving. Ella immediately supported the idea and when I asked her if she wanted to run it with me she quit her job.

"Opening day," she sighed next to me.

"You think anyone is going to come?" I asked her.

"I know they will." She grinned.

I pulled her into a hug. I couldn't have done it without her. She was the heart of it all. Being a trauma counselor made it that much easier to open this place. She had already worked out schedules of when she was going to run group sessions and how she would manage anyone that would want one on one sessions.

I was in charge of everything else, I was the brains. Doing the business side and planning any events.

This was going to be something special I could feel it.

We had an evening event to open it planned for today. We were going to put up the schedule for the month and hope people were interested in supporting our efforts.

The front door opened.

"Hey how's opening day?" My mom asked.

I sighed in relief to see my family arrive.

My dad followed in behind her.

"Dad!" A high pitched voice squealed and pushed past my parents.

The little munchkin ran forward straight towards me.

I laughed and scooped my daughter up.

"How was the morning at grandma and grandpas?" I questioned.

"Grandpa made pancakes." Lydia beamed.

"Wow. That was very nice of him."

"Yeah Archer cried all morning but grandma calmed him down."

I looked at the little one grabbing at my dads hair.

I smiled. I couldn't be happier how life turned out.

"Come here Arch." Ella picked him up out of my dads hands.

I knew Ella wanted a family and while things didn't work out the way we wanted she did get what she wanted. She never was able to get pregnant but adopting two amazing kids didn't make them any less ours.

"Thanks for taking them for the morning." I told my parents.

"Oh please I'll take them whenever you need me to. I love the little munchkins." My mom smiled.

"I would be worried. She might try to take one." My dad joked.

I laughed and shook my head. Of course my mom would try to steal one of my kids. I was always surprised I didn't have a sibling. My mom loved babies more than anything.

My mom walked up to me and grabbed both of my hands. She smiled at me and just sighed.

"Can we talk?" She asked.

I nodded. I didn't know why she wanted to talk but I knew my mom. She had something important to talk to me about.

I walked with her to the back of the center.

She didn't say anything she just wrapped me in a hug.

"Is everything ok?" I asked her.

"I'm just so proud of you." She squeezed me tightly.

"Mom you didn't have to pull me aside to tell me that. I know you are." I smiled.

She cared about me more than I could ever fathom. Now that I had kids of my own her love and protectiveness over me finally made sense. I could relate to that like I never could before.

"Trevor I just wanted to let you know that you doing this and opening this center has made me so proud. I support you no matter what and seeing you this happy and doing something to make a difference has just made me so happy. I just want you to be happy and I can see that you've gotten the best life you could." She wiped a few tears that escaped from her face.

"Mom I couldn't have done any of this without you, you know that."

"I will always be here to help if you need it. Not just with the center but you know I did this for a living and just because I'm not working here doesn't mean I'm not going to help as much as I can."

I wanted my mom to be apart of this. She had her own history with the military and even though she has made so much progress in being able to move past the pain of losing her brother I knew it still affected her.

"Mom this place is as much yours as it is mine." I pulled her into a hug.

"How did I get so lucky to have had the life I did. I have you and your father and that is more than anything I could have ever imagined." She squeezed me tightly.

I knew how much these past couple years really affected my mom. With the stress of the grandchildren and with the center opening we had to really rely on them a lot. I couldn't have done it without either one of my parents.

I followed my mom back over to where the rest of the family stood. My dad and Ella were chatting as the two kids sitting on the ground playing around with some toys.

"Are we ready?" My mom asked.

Everyone nodded and we rounded up all the kids and walked out of the center.

This was the start of something amazing. I was going to be doing this with my family by my side. I couldn't have asked for a better support system.

I looked over at my mom and smiled. She grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

She was my number one supporter.

And for everything she has done for me I figured it was time for me to return the favor.

I looked back at the center one last time with a grin on my face.

It was for my mom, for everything she's done.

The Trevor Brooks Veterans Center.

A/n:

I hope you guys enjoyed this bonus chapter. I love these characters so much and just want to write about them forever.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did don't forget to comment and vote!!

If you have any requests for other chapters or want to see one for a specific characters POV just let me know!

-Cora Leigh