I'm Not Crazy

In the morning we had a quiet breakfast but the drive home was much more lively than the drive to New York. Carmichael turned out to be a huge nerd and I got to know more about him and his family. His grandfather was a doctor and his father was an investigator. Though I didn't ask. I put one and two together and realized that his father must have been killed in action. His father actually lived here in Baltimore which made Carmichael want to come back. He was a nerd because I realized that whatever year or date I asked him, he always knew what happened. He was a history teacher but I wondered why he chose to teach high school and not at a top notch college. We talked about me too but I soon changed the subject because every time I mentioned something about me he would nod his head in agreement or acknowledgment. That same look that irritated the crap out of me. Then the awkward subject came up.

"So ... " I began, "what are we?" Carmichael allowed a loud, breathless sigh to escape his lips.

"That all depends," he said. "Will you go out with me again?" He curled his lips upward and I did too.

"Maybe,"

"When?"

"Tomorrow?" I quickly hit myself mentally for being so clingy and jumpy at seeing him again. I needed to act cool. But I'd never felt this way about a guy. I wanted to go further with Carmichael.

"You got it,"

"Really?"

"Maggy, I can't wait to see you again." I blushed and gave a shy smile. If there was a seat between us I would have sat close by him. As if he was reading my mind, Carmichael put his hand on the middle console and held his hand open. I placed mine inside his and he flipped it over. His was on top now and he squeezed my fingers with his.

Soft music played throughout the car and I closed my eyes. We got lunch as we slipped through a Wendy's driveway.

When we got back to Baltimore, Carmichael and I climbed out of his car and grabbed my things. He was once again dressed like a nun as he wore jeans and a jacket that hooded over a baseball cap on his head. He walked me to my apartment door and when we got there, I wrapped my arms around his neck and he wrapped his large hands around my waist. We didn't hesitate to kiss. I pulled his hood down, slipped his hat off, and ran my fingers through his curly mess of hair.

"Ah-hem," we immediately both stopped at the sound and turned. Steve Shelver was standing near by with flowers in his hand. Carmichael pulled me to his hip and gave the other teacher a devilish grin.

"Sorry, lad, but Maggy already has a boyfriend." Steve gave my new Boyfriend a glare.

"Hi, Maggy," he said.

"Hi, Steve."

"I didn't know that you and Carmichael were going out," Before I could answer, my Boyfriend kissed my temple.

I unwrapped myself from Carmichael's arm and went to give him a glare until I caught a large figure in dark jeans and a black jacket in the hallway. A hood covered his face but I could tell he was looking right at us.

A sudden nausea overcame me as the memories of that night stampeded into my mind.

My knees went weak and Carmichael was there right away to catch me. He turned to look at the figure but the man was already gone.

"Maggy, are you okay?" I heard Steve ask. I was blinking hard but I felt my breaths getting shorter and shorter. Carmichael lifted me into his arms bridal style and I felt a familiarity of it.

"I'll take her inside." Carmichael offered. I heard Steve protest but Carmichael slammed the door on his face. He then placed me on the couch and knelt down beside me. He didn't particularly look concerned but looked as if he was studying me and my symptoms.

"Are you okay?" He asked monotonously. I nodded. "Who was that man?"

So he did see him.

I shrugged but when I looked into Carmichael's eyes I knew he wasn't going to take that for an answer.

I let out a heavy sigh. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you,"

"Try me," he sounded confident and I was surprised. He wasn't happy and I wondered if I should enjoy this new masculine concern.

"The morning we returned from the hot pots," he sat down beside me on the couch, "my car wasn't working. The problem has been going on for a few months and I'm usually able to start it by revving the engine but it wasn't working." I kept my eyes on the shadows of the room.

When did I close my blinds?

"So I decided that I was fine to just walk home. On my way down the street, however, I was pulled into an alley by a man in all black. And then he ... and then he ... " Carmichael placed his hand on my knee and I took a deep breath. I then closed my eyes and took in as much courage as I could to sound crazy. "He was a vampire!" I covered my face with my hands and curled myself into a ball on the couch. "It sounds ridiculous! I know that!" I uncovered my face and looked at Carmichael. He was taken back at my next burst of words. "I know what I saw, though! I know I sound crazy but you asked!" The man allowed a few seconds of silence to pass before he gave me a soft smile and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"You're not crazy,"