Escaping

I climbed out of the car and found myself standing in front of a tall, brick building in the middle of town. I grabbed Levi then followed Ana-Maria inside as she carried her own son.

I wondered why I didn't know about this hideout and why Ana-Maria did. But I didn't care if I was kept out of the secret. The only thing weighing down on my mind and heart was my husband's safety. He was risking his life so that his family could get away. That included Lukas and Ana-Maria. We had all grown on each other as one another's family. Now Alexandru was going to die. I just knew it.

The building was a hotel. A run down hotel that had wallpaper scraped up by cat claws and old furniture that dogs must have chewed on. There was a musty, metallic flavor to the beige interior as well.

We didn't check in with the sleeping man at the front desk and instead walked right up the flight of stairs that lead to a small hall of rooms. Ana-Maria stopped at a door and pulled a key out. Lukas wasn't far behind as I heard him enter the building.

We walked into the room and I found that it bore two small beds, a nightstand, and a dresser.

I wondered how this was repellent against hunters when there was sun shining through.

"There's a spell on the room." Ana-Maria said, answering my thoughts. "This entire building is invisible. All creatures walk right through this alleyway never knowing they're actually in a rundown hotel." She placed her son in a crib that I hadn't noticed and rocked it as she sat on one of the beds. Lukas came and I side-stepped for him as he came through the door. Ana-Maria went on. "Alexandru made it about a hundred years ago. It was a way to hide vampires from the hunters during the early 20th century. And the outside world can't hear anything."

"What about the man downstairs?" I asked.

"He's paid to sit there."

"How can I see if I've never been here?" I asked.

"Drac obviously allowed it before we left. Same with Levi." I looked down at my baby who was now asleep.

"You're safe here, Maggy," Lukas said, placing his large, dark hands on my arms and holding me steady. I nodded to him but my eyes were elsewhere. The tears I shedded for my absent husband had been dried up during the drive to the hotel. I had nothing left.

"Can I have my own room?" I asked. Lukas and Ana-Maria looked at one another then turned back to me.

"It's probably best for you to stay with us, in one room." I nodded again. I laid my son in a crib that Lukas had pulled from another room and just looked out the window.

Thoughts of what could be going on entered my brain. I wanted them to leave and I wanted my husband here with me. I realized that I had only known Alexandru for technically two years. Those four years that were lost to a nonexistent memory haunted me. I always wondered what life could have been like had the vampire not gone and erased my memory.

I didn't want to know what life would be like without him.

I stared out the window and came to a conclusion.

If Alexandru died today, I would ask Octavian to erase my memory of him.

Or ...

A voice said to me.

Or ... I could save him. Forever. I could break his hellish curse. I could do it. Then he and Levi could live a human life together. I wouldn't be in it but I could watch from above. There is a heaven. I could watch my boys grow up and have normal lives.

It's the only way.

Alexandru could be truly happy.

I looked around the room and found Ana-Maria and Lukas conversing quietly.

"Where's the bathroom?" I asked somberly.

"Down the right side of the hall at the end." Lukas answered.

"Thanks," I said under my breath.

I slipped the keys to the car under my sleeve when Lukas turned back to his wife. I walked out of the room and to the bathroom. I knew Lukas had incredible hearing so I had to act fast. I sat for a moment on the toilet seat unable to relieve myself and thought about how I was going to steal the car without Lukas stopping me. There was a window, a sink, and a toilet.

I stood up and opened the window as quietly as possible. It was a simple latch and the frame flipped up. I looked out of it and stared down at the cobble road below. There so happened to be a ladder bolted into the side of the building. I shook it to make sure it was stable and my heart leapt with hope. I turned back and flushed the toilet. I then hurried to turn on the sink. The water came out fast and as I suspected of an old, European toilet, it flushed slowly and loudly. I acted quick and slipped out of the window that was just right for my size. I grasped the ladder and tried to not feel guilty for leaving behind my son.

He would be safe with Lukas and Ana-Maria. If anything happened to me and Alexandru, I would want them to take care of him.

I raced to the car and started it up quickly. I then drove away as fast as I could in a small town. Once I was out and on the hill that led up to the castle, I slammed on the gas and raced to my home.