Waking up to a Dead Husband

I laid in bed with my husband after taking a shower with him and after he went for a hunt. He wasn't fully recovered but he was quickly becoming his old self again. He healed my bruises and for the first time in a while, I felt strong again. He forced me to eat dinner and took Levi from me. He was acting like my husband again and I tried to enjoy it.

Now, while laying in bed, I couldn't get the topic off my head. The fact that Gabriel might attack any minute. Alexandru was in no position to fight someone. Octavian said that the vampire couldn't even turn into a flock of bats earlier while hunting, let alone freeze time.

I wanted Alexandru to get his rest but I also knew that the safest thing for him to do was to be in his casket.

"Are you sure you want to sleep with me tonight?" I asked him, rolling over and placing my hand on his bare chest. His arm was wrapped around me and he held me awfully close.

"Yes, I am sure. You are my wife, you don't deserve to sleep alone."

"I do if it means my husband is safe."

"Maggy, I can't even close my eyes. The thought of you and Levi being in danger while I'm locked away frightens me. A lot."

I didn't argue. Instead, I wrapped my arm around him and closed my eyes, dreaming of a heartbeat below my ear.

I woke up before Alexandru and was glad Levi was still sleeping. I went back to the bed and smiled at the low sun on my husband's face.

Wait.

I gasped and turned to the window. The shades were open and the setting sun was bright and glowing up our bedroom. I quickly drew the blinds and let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. I looked back at Alexandru and wondered how on earth the shades had gotten open. I walked back to my husband and for the first time this evening, found an odd red stain on the purple sheets on the vampire. My heart began to beat fast and I held my breath once more.

I yanked the covers off of Alexandru and sure enough, there was a tiny dagger in the Count's heart. I went to pull it out but wasn't sure what kind of damage that would do. I cried and screamed Alexandru's name while shaking him but he wasn't moving.

Levi began to cry and I didn't know what to do.

Part of me wondered why Octavian or even Lukas couldn't hear my cries. The thought of them also being harmed terrified me.

I was breathing hard. I wondered if what I was doing was hyperventilation.

I knew he should have slept in his coffin. That would have been safest for him. Why did he have to sleep with me!? Why didn't he just listen to me! Now he's dead.

I stumbled off the bed overcome with anguish and despair and went to my crying baby. I held him close and cried with him.

I jerked my head up and turned on my heel when I heard a gasp come from the bed.