Chapter 7

"Miyuki, what are you doing here?" I heard Iruka's voice come from my left. I started and almost lost my grip. I gave a terrified sob and made a mad grab for the rock. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." Iruka said, apologetically.

I turned my head to look at him. He was standing on the mountain, using chakra on his feet. His face showed surprise when he saw my face. I probably had bags under my eyes and my whole face was probably red and blotchy from crying. I've been stuck here for 17 hours and it was currently morning. Never once did I sleep. I could've seen the stars last night from up here if I hadn't been so scared. I've been awake this whole time and they only realise I'm here now? "I-I can't get down."

"Of course you can. You just have to-"

"No I can't! You don't understand, Iruka-sensei. I'm afraid of heights!"

"Then how did you get up here?"

"I-I don't know. Please just get me down from here!" My arms had begun to shake again and they were aching. I couldn't handle being up here. I don't know what made me think it was a good idea to come up here.

"Alright, just close your eyes." I did as he asked and felt him take a hold on me. Suddenly and without warning, I wasn't holding onto the rock anymore, I was falling backward. My eyes flew open and I flailed, panicking. I felt arms take a hold on me almost instantly, but I still couldn't relax. My heart thumped in my chest like it wanted to get out. It was quick and hurt a bit. My breaths were shallow and I was starting to hyperventilate. Why I haven't hyperventilated before is beyond me. "Breath Miyuki! Just take deep breaths. In through your nose and out through your mouth." Iruka commanded. I did as he told me, but it was hard. Slowly I began to calm down.

I felt my feet touch the ground and I stood up. I looked around, we were on the ground, under the Hokage faces. I didn't even notice him walking down. I turned to him. "Thank you, sensei." I said, now much calmer. If this experience didn't make my fear worse I would be surprised.

He nodded, his face showing sympathy and concern. "It's not a problem at all. Did you sleep at all last night?"

I shook my head. "No... I was there the whole night. I- Wait, am I meeting my sensei today?" I asked, starting to get excited.

He chuckled. "As a matter of fact, yes, you are."

I grinned. "Finally. Off to the Academy we are!" I yelled and cheerfully skipped toward the Academy. I heard Iruka laugh at me as he followed behind slowly.

*

I went to sit in an empty chair, which just happened to be next to Sasuke Uchiha and Naruto sat next down to me. Shikamaru saw him and stopped beside him "What are you doing here, Naruto? This isn't for drop-outs, so you can't be here unless you graduate."

"Oh yeah? Open your eyes Shikamaru. I've got a regulation headband." Naruto said confidently. He turned to me. "Miyuki-chan, why do you have a black headband and not a blue one?" He asked with curiosity, glancing down at my middle where I had tied it.

I smiled. "That'd be because I made it like that." I rested my head on my hand again and tried to keep my eyes open. I was so tired.

Sakura and Ino rushed into class. "I'm first!" They yelled simultaneously as they panted.

I tuned them out. They were too loud. I had to say, they had the worst rivalry I've ever seen. All because of a boy who didn't even care, best friends turned into rivals. I sighed. It's against the girl-code for friends to go for the same guy, but they obviously weren't aware of that.