Chapter 34

Chapter 34

*Leo Qi*

“Obcasa. The Cosmo Prison is in Obcasa, and Christy’s there right now,” I say.

Right after I arrived in Vale, Alex called an emergency meeting in Town Hall. He, Suchet, Alisha, Ramya, Nidhi, and I are seated there now, contemplating what to do.

“What about the Obcasa gang? Do you know if they’ll help us?” Alex asks.

I shake my head. “I don’t know, sorry. Jack’s the one there -- I haven’t been able to have any connection with him.”

“So, basically, we have two options,” Alisha suggests. “We can send everyone we’ve got right now, while Christy’s right where we want her to be. Or we can send someone over to ask the Obcasa gang to come and help us so we can regroup and launch a more organized attack.”

“I like the sound of that second plan better,” Suchet says.

I glower at him, still angry from our previous confrontation. “That’s just because you don’t want to risk your own neck, which you would have to do if there’s an immediate Zerg rush.”

“No,” Suchet insists. “I just thought that plan would be more effective -- that it would save more lives!”

“Calm down, both of you,” Ramya interjects, putting a hand on Suchet’s shoulder. “We don’t have time to argue like this. Every second we waste is another chance for Christy to hurt our friends in Obcasa.”

Suchet takes several deep breaths. “Okay. Truce, Leo.”

“Just don’t talk to me and it’ll all be fine,” I grumble, still fuming.

“Let’s vote,” Nidhi suggests. “All in favor of Plan A?”

I’m the only one to raise my hand.

When Plan B is called, all the other hands shoot up. Grimacing, I sigh in defeat.

“Plan B it is, then,” Ramya says ebulliently. “Who’s going to be our ambassador?”

Everybody looks at me out of the corners of their eyes.

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” I deadpan. “You all want me to go.”

“It’s okay if you don’t want to--” Alex stammers.

“No. I do want to... and the rest of you guys do as well, so it’s a win-win situation, right?” I snap back.

I’m met with blank stares and speechless mouths.

Pushing back my chair with a bang, I rise out of my seat, carefully masking my expression. “I’m going, then, if there’s anything else.”

The tension in the room is almost tactile, but no one speaks.

“Screw you all,” I mutter as I stride out of Town Hall. “I’m out of here.”

*Sophie Koh*

I’ve just reached the bottom of the hill when I hear a high pitched scream from behind me.

I whirl around just in time to see something careen into Courtney. It bursts into a million sunbeams, inundating Courtney in a supernatural flame.

Then, as quickly as it came, the anomalous fire dies out and Courtney’s attacker rockets down the side of the hill.

I sprint up the hill and rush over to my fallen friend.  “Oh, my God. Courtney.” Her clothes are literally steaming.

Courtney stirs slightly. “Sophie...” Her voice is barely louder than an exhale.