Part 2

The weekend I decided to get my study notes in order and apply to a few universities. By Saturday night all of it had been done. I was starving and I knew my dad was too busy to bring food to my room and it was wrong of me to expect him to. The Carters always had events on Saturday. Whether it be fundraisers or social events. If it took place, it would on a Saturday at the Carters.

Just as expected the head chef was cooking up a storm. I fixed myself a plate from one of the savory platters. "I saw that" Javier said just as I was about o duck out. "thank you" I said back and made my way out silently.

To my luck I bumped into a friendly face. "hi Anna"

"stealing food like a church mouse are we" Anna said, disgust evident in her tone. Her bright red dress a good combination with her "friendly" attitude.

It didn't help that I was dressed in grey sweats and a grey hoodie like a mouse.

"Rania!" Mr Carter said happily. I groaned inwardly. So much for a quick snack, damn you hunger.

"Hi Mr.Carter" I turned to face the cheerful man. He had always been really sweet, both him and his wife.

"is that all you will be eating?" he asked disapprovingly as he looked at my plate.

"its all I need" I smiled trying not to wince. I didn't feel embarrassed that I ate here and neither Mr. Carter nor Mrs Carter ever made me feel bad. It was just different when they insisted on giving me things they aren't obliged too. They were kind of like the aunts and uncles I wish I had.

"Nonsense, I haven't seen you in weeks which means you have been locked on your room with your nose in your books, here" he said filling me another plate with desert which my mouth watered to. Carrot cake. My favorite.

"Thank you!" I smiled appreciatively. My throat threatening to choke up again.

"oh hi Anna" he finally said which earned me a glare from her.

They started speaking and I took it as my queue to leave.

By the time I was eating my appetite had left me so I only ate the dessert. It was just as well because my father came home tired and no doubt hungry. Forcing him to eat was always a sport. He listened and in his tired state he would always look at me, like he did now. And say "it really is her loss, the fool" and I would leave him to his thoughts.

Every now and then my mind wonders about my mother, what she is like, aside from her beauty and her wealth I knew so little about her. I knew for a fact she was a weak women. No matter the circumstances, in my opinion, anyone who abandons their responsibilities due to people's opinions were weak. And sometimes weak people were cowards. 

"A virgin cocktail for Virgin Mary?" Noah entered the kitchen. The clock said 1am and I wondered if Anna was in his bedroom.

"it is amazing that my dad thinks you're a "good guy"." I said. Noah only smirked while mixing our drinks. Reaching for my plate, I saw it was already empty. I must have been hungry.

"So, why are you going to the prom?" he asked, his question surprising me.

"We don't have to make small talk you know" I said.

"I want to know" he said, busy with his task. No sign of a lie and truthfully he wasn't one to lie or sugarcoat things to spare someone's feelings.

"I want to go. I mean, my dad thinks i'm a loner" he looked up at the last bit as if to say "you are a loner".

"I don't want him know I am one and to worry and at the same time, I can enjoy at least this much of high school" I answered him truthfully.

Noah looked at me thoughtfully. Then smiled. Noah Carter actually smiled, a real one. Not a smirk. A small dimpled smile. It made me smile too.