19. Ally

Just like she had dreamed and imagined, Cameron spent most of her weekend either talking to Sasha or meeting her for half an hour before she needed to go back home to look after her mother. For Cameron, that was perfect.

Her only problem was Carter and his nosiness. Everytime she was texting, he would try to look over her shoulder. Everytime she was on the phone, he would not so discreetly eavesdrop her conversations which eventually led to a fight. Everytime she was putting her jacket on to go out, he would ask her a hundred questions at a time. At one point, Cameron wondered if he wasn't squarely following her or tracking her.

She hated that. She hated that Carter was trying to stuff his nose into her business. Just to annoy him and give him a taste of his own medicine, Cameron would sometimes repeat the same actions but exaggerating a little to make her point. She had been quiet about his excessive presence in the past because she didn't care at the time, but it was different with Sasha. She didn't want anyone to ruin this for her.

This obviously passed as a 'rebellion' that Carter exposed to all their friends, making Cameron look like a bratty ungrateful bitch who was unable to acknowledge her brother's kindness and was taking it for granted. At the sound of that, Cameron confronted Carter and gave him a piece of her mind.

"Is that really what you think of me, huh? That I'm taking advantage of you?", she asked angrily, trying to catch his eyes that were looking everywhere but in her direction. "At least look at me when I talk to you", she requested firmly and finally got to look at him.

Something was off but she couldn't understand what it was. His look was cold, almost hateful.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Carter?"

"Me? You're the one lying to everybody and you're asking me what's wrong? Take a fucking look at yourself!"

"And what did I lie about exactly?", Cameron asked, strongly hoping that it was not concerning Sasha. She would die.

"Ryan", he simply answered.

"What about Ryan?", she asked again.

"How you've been pretending to be into him since the beginning when you knew he was gay", Carter said, making Cameron snort in disbelief.

"I never pretended anything."

"Cut the bullshit. You've been hanging out with him and made everyone believe you two were having a thing. All that for what? To cover for that fag?"

"You know what? Fuck you! First of all, I always clearly said that nothing was happening between us and that we were just friends. You're the ones who kept spreading rumors and talking about us being a thing. If you had taken two minutes of your damn time to listen you'd know that. Now instead of calling me a liar or a manipulator, you should start by becoming a decent and respectful person."

With that said, Cameron had to leave. If she didn't want her anger and impulsivity to get the best of her, she had to get away from there. She didn't care about the bystanders or the walking students, her only preoccupation was her brother's hateful reaction regarding Ryan's sexual preference. It was obvious that Carter was put off of his new friend's sexual orientation, and Cameron wondered how he would react if he ever happened to find out about her growing interest and attachment in Sasha.

His negative behavior made Cameron worry about Ryan and the way her brother could have had acted towards him. So she texted him to let him know she would wait for him at the cafe near the library and lit a cigarette while she looked for Sasha's contact, knowing the blond could take her mind off things. At the sight of the little monkey, Cameron smiled and touched the digits before bringing the device to her ear, impatient to hear Sasha's voice.