27. Double date

For the umpteenth time, Cameron sighed annoyingly when she saw that Sasha still hadn't contacted her. They were supposed to meet up but Sasha had gone MIA. Out of frustration and despite Carter's threats, Cameron accepted Ryan's invitation and climbed in his car at 10pm to let him take her wherever he wanted to go.

The setting of the place he chose was lovely. It was a trendy establishment between a bar and a nightclub, offering a wide range of cocktails and food trays to share. The first detail that Cameron noticed was how joyful people were. She could feel all the customers' smiles radiating happiness and zest for life. When Cameron sat down in front of Ryan, she couldn't wipe her smile off her face.

"What is this place?", she asked in awe, her eyes trying to take in the beauty of the lights and admiring the way people were dancing. So freely. So eagerly.

"My boyfriend works here. His shift should be over in half an hour. I thought I could introduce him to you. I mean, if you're okay with it."

"Of course!", Cameron immediately said. "I didn't even know you had a boyfriend", she added.

"It's pretty recent but I like him a lot", Ryan smiled brightly, making Cameron reciprocate the expression. It felt incredible to see Ryan so happy.

"I want to know everything", Cameron said excitedly as she grabbed the menu in order to choose what she'd drink.

While she scanned the list of cocktails, Cameron listened to Ryan's story and glanced discreetly at his boyfriend who was working the bar. He was good looking and affable, but learning about his values and big heart comforted Cameron and made Lorenzo look even more likeable. She was so happy to hear about their first date, about their cute jealous scenes, about their ice cream dates at the park, or about their makeout session at the movies that scandalized and outraged people in the audience.

It gave her hope as well. It allowed her to imagine herself kissing Sasha goodbye in the street before she'd go back to work after a nice lunch. It made her feel light, as Ryan proved her that he could still be happy with the person he liked even though people around him didn't approve of it. They weren't important people to him, but it still got Cameron to think. And she realized that no one had a say in who she could see and date. The only important thing was her own happiness, and Sasha was it.

Cameron also understood that if her relatives were to disapprove of her relationship with Sasha, it would imply rejecting her happiness and well being. And if those people were against that, they didn't have anything to do in her life. Perhaps some of them would grow accustomed with it while others would condemn her to burn at the stake. But none of them mattered at the end of the day. She had to think of herself and live accordingly.

"I'm seeing someone as well", Cameron said timidly. It was her first time saying it out loud but it sounded strangely pleasant.

"I kind of figured but I didn't ask. I was scared to upset you."

"You can ask now. I won't get upset", Cameron smiled before taking a couple of sips of her Long Island. At the pace she was starting off, she knew it wouldn't take her long to be tipsy.

"How was your introduction to the lesbian society?", Ryan asked teasingly, making Cameron choke on her drink from not controlling her giggles.

"I mean... We haven't... You know. Not yet. I'd love to but I wouldn't know where to start."

"Why don't you start by telling me about your mysterious lady?", Ryan asked, making Cameron smile like a fool at the thought of Sasha.

"She's the strongest person I know. No matter what comes her way, she always fights and she keeps moving forward. And she's so generous. I swear Ryan, I've never met such a generous and kind-hearted person before. Everything she does, she does for the others and never for herself."

"Is she hot?", he asked excitedly. Cameron scoffed and smiled sheepishly. Talking about this topic so freely was completely new to her.

"She's really hot", Cameron confessed and groaned slightly as she plopped her chin on her hand, images of Sasha's attractive figure running in her mind.

"Hopefully I can run into her on campus some day."

"She doesn't go to uni", Cameron informed him with a faint smile.

"How did you two meet then?", Ryan asked confusedly. If Cameron wanted Sasha's identity to remain secret for now, she had to think of a tiny lie and fast.

"In a bar", she answered naturally. "We were thick as thieves right away and then it was just... It was obvious. I met her and everything changed."

"It's amazing, Cammie."

"You're the only one to know", she smiled sadly and reached for her glass to finish it in one go.

"You want a refill?", Ryan asked right away. At the same time, Cameron's phone lit up next to her and she instantly noticed the little monkey.

"Please. Next one's on me."

Her leg was twitching. Ryan was taking his dearest time to look through his wallet and even collected the empty glasses to take them to the bar. The gesture in itself was gentlemanly and the kiss he received from Lorenzo proved so. But Cameron was more interested in Sasha.

...🙈 - I'm so sorry Cam something came up

Cameron - What happened?

...🙈 - My father came to my house...

Cameron - WHAT

...🙈- Are you in bed already?

Cameron - No I'm out with Ryan

...🙈 - Can we meet once you're done?

Cameron - Of course. I'll let you know.

Cameron couldn't believe it. Her dad had showed up. He had the nerves to show his face after everything his family put up with because of him. No matter how interesting Ryan's stories were and how good her cocktail was, Cameron could only focus on Sasha and the distress she was certainly feeling. She needed to see her and be there for her, but it would be rude to dump Ryan.

"Do you mind if I invite Sasha?", Cameron blurted out without thinking.

Actually, she did think and came to the conclusion that Ryan could be trusted. And if she was fully honest with herself, Cameron was growing tired of having to hide her. It was nice to live this relationship in secret because no one bothered them, but Cameron wanted Sasha here with her. And the best way to include Sasha in her life was to start by going out together with someone who understood and accepted them.

"That'd be great! We should go on a double date next time!", Ryan exclaimed excitedly.

Cameron laughed to avoid answering and immediately texted Sasha to give her the address of the bar and tell her she was more than welcome to join them. Two seconds later, Sasha already texted her back to say she would be on her way. It made Cameron both ecstatic and anxious. She was taking some risks by revealing Sasha, but she was also taking a huge step forward. Although Ryan was just her friend, it was still making their relationship kind of official.

To ease her nerves, Cameron ordered another drink that she finished at lightspeed. She didn't want to be drunk when Sasha arrived so she went easy on the next one and decided to distract herself with Ryan and Lorenzo instead. The latter having finished his shift, he joined the table with a tray of drinks and snacks that Cameron knew she wouldn't resist for long.

She wanted to wait for Sasha though. Now that she knew her hot blond was on her way, Cameron only wanted to stop everything she was doing and fix upon the door until her favorite face appeared. Instead, Cameron announced that she was going for a smoke and posted herself at a strategic point where she could see both sides of the street, hoping for her lover to arrive before she finished her pack.