S

I AM OBSESSED WITH THE CONCEPT OF TIME. I started out intrigued, but now I'm way too in love with it to let go. If you don't love time, then you're not doing something right. I can assure you that.

Time is precious as well as expensive, and this is why it should be a very and absolutely understandable reason as to why I am standing on the pavement feeling sickened to exhaustion by the rage pumping through my veins.

This is what Dessy and her ex-boyfriend do to me.

"You fool! Shey you said you will not give me the money abi? Idiot fellow." My eyes follow Dessy as she pulls Ola out of the pub, close to dragging his feeble body across the concrete ground. "Stupid.bastard.babboon." Her words are accompanied by loud blows on Ola's back.

"Please." He cries, but she silences him with another blow.

I wait impatiently without uttering a word until she starts to take off his clothes. Not today. I think, remembering that she had made a promise not to embarrass him that far today. I really don't care about what she does to him. All that concerns me is my beautiful time that is being spilled and trod over carelessly by the situation at hand.

"Dessy you said only beating this time!" I yell, pushing forward through the crowd that had clamoured around the beer parlour for a glimpse of drama.

"Can I just castrate him today?" She shouts back, her voice hoarse from all the stress she has placed on her poor vocal cords which I'm sure struggle to keep up with her antics.

"No." I say, even though I wish she would. If she mutilated his member, it would mean she had no reason to go back to her ex for 'rent' sex or have to run after him for weeks before getting paid. For someone quite smart, Dessy was stupid for Ola.

Sucking my bottom lip into my mouth and blowing away on my anger internally, I head into the house which to my pure delight is totally empty as the owner is outside trying to stop the commotion.

The lights are purplish and not exactly the best for a thieving operation, but I trudge forward ignoring the stale stench that hangs on to the insides of the room and everywhere possible. I hate it with a passion.

It really is a bit hilarious that no matter how many times I have found myself in a bar, I just cannot get used to the stink and nauseating odours that envelopes around every single one of them. They always manage to make me want to vomit.

There is a table turned over in the corner of the fridge with liquid dripping down its legs and I eye it suspiciously, wondering what manners of horror had made their way atop the poor plastic.

"There's no time." I tear my attention away from the ugly chattel and mutter quietly, reminding myself of my self-imposed mission. 

Gulder, Stout, Star and Hennessy; I shove them into my handbag and secure them while making sure they are arranged in a simple way that will make it possible for me to carry easily.

A man walks into the pub as I stuff the last bottle in and I wink at him and smile, hoping he minds his business.

"Are you buying or..." he starts to ask, but I'm already out the door and hurrying towards Dessy who is now sitting on Ola's head. The crowd has dissipated already, maybe bored as there is no more action for them to watch except if crushing a man's head can be seen as any fun.

I walk slowly towards them and shake my head, feeling pity for the wretched man. Dessy was curvy below and that meant lots and lots of fat forming a cushion in her backside. In conclusion, her buttocks situated on anyone could be likened to bags of rice pinning down the victim.

"Let's go. Let's go." I pick up her bag that lay open a few inches away from her. "Jesus Christ." I gasp as I catch sight of his bloody face as she gets off him, now allowing him a chance to breathe.

"What? He deserved it." She says innocently and I shrug in return. I never really get in the middle of their business. It is either I keep shut about my opinions or I try not to form any at all. Moreover, I truly liked Dessy and did not want to lose her as a friend. What she does is her business and not mine after all.

"I got drinks. We have to leave."

"Sh*t. Why did you not tell me since?" She questions as she dusts herself and stands fully.

"You were busy with..." I nod at the body that almost seems lifeless behind her. "But I think this guy saw me. Should we play it off cool or run?"

"Run." She points to the left and I realise she is right as another ruckus is being raised as the shop owner yells about her stolen drinks and starts to check all the customers' bags.

"Oh my God. I was so not ready for this today." I shut my eyes for a second then open them as I push off into a sprint, well aware of the fact that we could get into trouble as running would make us seem more suspicious than normal.

"See them!" I hear someone scream. "Catch them! They are the thieves! Follow them!"

Footsteps echo behind Dessy and I, but I keep up with my swift movement knowing how difficult it would be for anyone to catch us. This is not the first, second or third time something like this has happened to us, and so we have more than enough experience to deal with the problem at hand.

"Wait!"

"Stop! You thieves!" The people behind keep yelling and a few passersby join in the chase.

I cross my bag over my shoulder, noting that its weight is slowing me down. Dessy is far ahead of me and it makes me feel queasy. I am hardly ever behind like now and a little worry starts to gnaw at my stomach.

Will I make it?

My accomplice turns around with a frown on her face, but then she winks at me and I know that we are to go ahead with our plan.

A groan escapes from my lips as the bottles in my bag clash together and I feel the liquid trickling down my legs. I should just let it go and run, I know. But it is way too late to do so. I have already carried it this far and don't intend to just give up on my hard earned–stolen–goods.

By the time we are past the second street, we both divert to opposite directions.

Our pursuers stall for a moment, unsure of where or whom to go after. My lips curve in a smile as I regain back my confidence. I can do this. I think as I head towards the tall wall that separates the normal world from 'Runs Street'.

As soon as I reach the foot of the cemented structure, I fling the bag to my back in order to aid my undertaking and then I charge up the wall. I have done this uncountable number of times, so finding the cracks and holes proved to be no difficulties for me.

It however was for my assailants as by the time I crossed over to the other side, I could hear curses and insults being hurled at me.

"Idiots." I grin as a panting Dessy meets me not too far away from the mango tree close to the fence.

"That shortcut is always the real deal my girl."

"I tell you." My hand raises to high-five her as soon as I catch my breath.

"I hope say the drinks no too die like that sha." She takes the bag from me and unzips it. "Some still dey." Her eyes sparkle with happiness.

"You know it is not for you right?" I squint at her, knowing what her plan is. "It's for the clients." I add.

"I know, I know." She says like always, but proceeds to open one of the bottles with her teeth. I roll my eyes and grab my bag from her.

"Okay let us reach house na." I say as a yawn forces itself from my mouth. My phone pings at the same time.

"Who is that?" She asks me while gulping down alcohol.

"A new sugar daddy." My lips curve into a devilish smile.