D

"WE DON'T HAVE TIME MADAM." She throughly ignores my question like I never said anything and grabs at my wrist, pulling me towards the house. For someone quite small, she really is powerful.

In my forced hurry, I fail to catch details of the exterior of the mansion. All that my brain registers is that the colour of the walls are cream–almost white, but not truly white.

When we finally enter the house, she lets go of my hand and types away on a small phone. I give her enough space and use the opportunity to study my environment.

The lights in the receiving area are bright, enhancing the butter-like paint that bathes every nook and cranny. I note in distaste that the inside walls almost match in exactly the same colour as that of the outside walls and fence. How boring. I think as I take off my shoes and conclude that I would have done better if I were the one responsible for the designs.

"Do you need to retouch your makeup or something Madam?" I find her referencing to me as "madam" a bit weird but I do not complain as she is fairly younger than I am.

"Yes please if that would be possible." I reply, pleased to get an opportunity to pull myself together and look as presentable as possible before I meet the person I have been meaning to for days.

"Absolutely. Please go right down the passage on your right then turn right and you will see the bathroom." she advices and I thank her and set off on my journey.

"She is finally here." A rich, baritone voice speaks, sending a delicious tingle down my spine that causes me to come to a standstill in the middle of my tracks. My brain fails to recognise the face the voice belongs to but my body knows it quite well as it trembles in excitement and anticipation. I turn around quickly to see the man talking, but my efforts are thwarted.

"Yes sir." The housekeeper says. She is standing in my way–completely blocking my view–and I resist the urge to walk up to her and push her away.

"Thank you Sarah. Please bring her to me in the West wing when you both are done. Dinner will be served soon." The owner of the enticing voice says and disappears before I can catch sight of him. I sigh in defeat as I continue on my journey consoling myself with the fact that I would be seeing him soon.

Making a few extra touches to my makeup which is just the right amount of baked by the way, takes little time and I find myself satisfied with my reflection after some readjustments.

I smile and shoot at the me in the mirror with a finger gun, nodding at her small but flat African nose, her average ears and light brown eyes. "You look good Ada." I say, but I know she already knows that.

"Are you ready madam?" Sarah asks as soon as I finally find my way back to where I first left her.

"Yes." I reply and pretend not to see the worried expression on her face. It is a good thing she doesn't know that most of my time was spent contemplating what passageway to take since I had gotten lost.

"Then let's go."

My jaw slightly drops as she takes me around a bend I did not notice before. The walls have no colour this time but only because they are mirrors stacked high on each other. I watch myself move from one frame to the other and I force down my hand to stop from childishly waving at my reflection.

My eyes follow the mirrors to the roof and I gasp softly. The ceiling is the highest I have ever seen in my life. In fact, stacking three layers of our house in the village would still not be tall enough to reach its height.

"We have to hurry madam. The master will not be too pleased at our lateness." Sarah twirls around to look at me. I agree with her and quicken my pace. I find myself concealing a smile when I note that for every step I take, she takes twice as many.