D

THERE IS A GREAT ROARING IN MY EARS BY THE TIME I HAVE ALL OUR BAGS GATHERED TOGETHER. I want to scream then maybe cry but I feel way too drained out and exhausted. I walk sluggishly to our apartment and there my confirmation is in bold, printed words: "To Let."

"Why now?" I whisper as I take out my phone and hurriedly dial the last number on my recents. The call goes unanswered repeatedly even though I try five more times. "Where are you Dessy?" I try hard to not pull on my hair and instead fan at my face with both my hands and breathe deeply out of my mouth while praying for the strength to keep my composure.

After the tenth ring, my phone goes off and I suck my teeth bitterly at the stupid China battery that has chosen to display one of its useless features of tripping off for no reason. I fumble with the phone for a few minutes before it becomes clear that it will most likely not be turning on in the nearest future.

"What should I do now?" I mutter to myself as I turn around in the midst of our scattered belongings. My frustration and anger threatens to skyrocket when I notice my favourite skirt buried under layers of dirt, but I stop them by actively repressing my negative sentiments. Next to the skirt is one of my red bags and I squint to see the bunch of orange flowers that lay behind it, already miserably wilted.

Between laments and curses, I heap the dirtied clothes into an empty nylon bag I find in my box so that I have seven suitcases–mine and Dessy's included–and a rubber bag of dresses, shirts and skirts direly in need of washing. My life really couldn't get any better.

It takes two trips back and forth to get the bags and baggages out of the compound and onto the street. My brain is clouded as I try to come up with a plan but all I reach are dead ends.

I can't contact Dessy, I can't call an Uber either–I have no clue where I would go by the way–as my phone is dead, I can't leave all of my luggages by the roadside to go look for help, I can't beg any of my neighbours for help as I don't even know who they are and I most certainly cannot, will not and refuse to return back to beg my b*tch of a landlady, Agnes. In other words I have no options left.

Time ticks by slowly and I estimate a good fifteen minutes dragged by while I sit on my boxes. I feel hopeless to the point that I have begun to contemplate heading back into the apartment, swallowing my pride and doing one of the worst things I could think of which of course is pleading with Agnes to let me stay one night. My painful thoughts are however halted when a car drives to a stop right in front of me.

That Camero looks quite familiar. I think, but I don't have to ponder on my thoughts too long as the door smoothly opens and out steps my fake fiancé in all his handsome glory.

"Miss Ada?" His tone is questioning to match his raised eyebrow and wrinkled brow. "Is everything okay?"

Obviously not. I am tempted to sass him, but decide against doing so. "No. Everything is not okay Eric." I add his name spitefully without meaning to.

"Were you kicked out?" His voice is deeper and hollow with a tinge of rage to it.

"Yes. Sadly. I could not keep up with my rent." I say quite calmly. Somehow, I am no longer worried about my situation or anything else. All my brain can process is the scent being emitted from the gorgeous being in front of me. Did he always smell this nice?

"Keep up with your rent? And you were kicked out?"

"Yes." I sigh deeply.

"Were you given a notice because a landlord or landlady is required to do so before kicking a tenant off their property."

I recall the warnings Agnes had given Dessy and I over the past few days and I know that I cannot blame her for doing her work. "Well yes, I suppose so. She issued some warnings this week. I just did not think I would be kicked out so soon and worse when I wasn't at home."