𝘰𝘯𝘦

LILLIE BROOKS SAT against a tree, biting her tongue as she focused on the pencil moving across the page, drawing her best friend, rory gilmore, erasing and redrawing the eyes for the seventh time because 'they didn't quite look right'

LILLIE BROOKS SAT against a tree, biting her tongue as she focused on the pencil moving across the page, drawing her best friend, rory gilmore, erasing and redrawing the eyes for the seventh time because 'they didn't quite look right'. the girl was so focused she didn't notice the girl that had been sat beside her for five minutes until she was flicked on the forehead.

"ow!" she yelped dropping her pencil to rub her head as she glared at her best friend who snickered beside her. "what was that for?"

"i've been here five minutes, you didn't even notice me with your head stuck into that sketchpad." rory explained snatching said book from the blonde girl, grimacing as she saw what she was drawing. "i thought i said you couldn't draw me."

lillie whined slightly, taking the sketchpad back, "but you have such as easy face to draw, so pretty and.. symmetrical." the rosy lips turned up into a smile, batting her eyelashes at the brunette.

"flattery gets you no where, lil."

the smile quickly fell into a pout. "pleaseeee, it's for my art class, i need a portrait and i don't have anyone else's face to draw, yours is permanently engraved in my mind." lillie pleaded causing the young gilmore to sigh and roll her eyes with a soft laugh.

"fine whatever." she said making lillie smile triumphantly before handed the smug girl a notebook. "here's what we studied today in history." lillie's face lit up taking the notes and skimmed over them. "the peloponnesian war is one of the most convoluted topics we've done so far, seemed perfect for you"

"i've already read 3 books about it."

"you'll have to let me borrow them some time."

the pair met when they were two years old and have been best friends for the following fifteen years. they were practically attached at the hip until last year when rory transferred to chilton, whereas lillie remained at stars hollow high. the blonde could easily get into the private school along with her best friend, she was definitely smart enough. sadly, her family aren't exactly in the best financial state and the idea of wearing a uniform didn't appeal much to her either. despite this, lillie tried to excel in her studies in hopes of getting into an ivy league on some sort of art scholarship.

"have you been sat here since school finished?" rory asked noticing the blonde was still wearing the same clothes from this morning. the same ridiculously oversized denim jacket and her green smiths t-shirt.

"uhmmm, maybe." lillie nibbled at her bottom lip.

rory's brown hair bounced as she shook her head disapprovingly. "lillie, you've been sat here two hours?"

"didn't wanna go home." lillie frowned slightly before quickly masking it with a smile, though rory already noticed, her expression turning sympathetic.

"well, you can come over tonight, mom organised a dinner with luke and his nephew, it's going to be very 'eraserhead'-esque so should be fun." rory suggested, deciding against asking the other why she didn't want to go home which lillie greatly appreciated, instead perking up at the mention of her favourite diner owner and the mention of going over to rory's house.

lillie tilted her head in slight confusion. "luke's nephew?"

"yeah he came to town the other day, he's staying with luke and mom thought it would help him settle in by meeting other people." rory explained.

"sure, why not. got nothing else to do." lillie shrugged putting her sketchpad back in her bag before both rory and her got up, slinging her bag over her shoulder before throwing her arm around the brunette's shoulder as they walked to the gilmore house. "besides i only have a limited time before you leave me for harvard, we've got to spend every second together we can." lillie announced dramatically, wiping a faux tear from her cheek.

"please," rory rolled her eyes playfully. "it's not that easy to get rid of you, believe me, i've been trying for fifteen years."

lillie's jaw dropped in faux offence, holding her hand to her chest. "you hurt me, gilmore." the pair laughed.

•·················☆·················•

the two girls reached the house noticing sookie's car was already in the drive way. they stepped through the door. "mom? lillie's here." she shouted as the shrugged off her jacket, hanging it up, lillie doing the same. lorelai gilmore came bounding into the foyer.

"lillie! good to see you. are you staying for dinner?" she smiled brightly immediately making lillie smile in return. the gilmore household was an immense contrast to her own.

"if its not a bother." she replied timidly, fiddling with the ends of her sleeves.

"oh of course! sookie's made enough for the whole town. rory and i will be eating good for a week." she laughed.

"i need to change before luke gets here." rory stated before walking with lillie to her room, the blonde setting her bag onto the other's bed before turning on rory's radio and getting out the notes her friend gave her, reading over them while rory got dressed.

"the athens seem like cool guys." she spoke, her eyes still fixed on the pages, a hint of a smirk playing on her lips.

"oh yeah, they had the smarts and the looks, what's not to love?" rory agreed jokingly. "then again, i don't know, the spartans have that bad boy thing going for them you know?"

"mm agreed, i'm glad i was born this era or i'd never be able to decide."

"i don't think romance was the main concern at the time, maybe the possibility of death was a tad more prominent." she laughed as she pulled on her shirt and sat down at her desk pulling out her notebooks to start some homework. both girls sat in a comfortable silence for a few moments.

"my dad's out of town again." lillie spoke up, a solemn look on her face. rory turned to her at this declaration. "least i saw him for a whole day this time."

rory frowned and moved to sit on the bed with her best friend. she didn't know everything about lillie's parents, she didn't really like talking about them. the brunette could tell when something happened, she noticed the subtle changes in lillie's attitude and the redness in her eyes. rory never pushed, knowing that it could just cause the blonde to close up even more. "is that why you didn't want to go home?" rory asked carefully giving the other a side hug.

lillie sighed and nodded silently, just hugging her friend.

"you know you can stay here whenever you need. me and mom both love it when you're here." rory smiled seeing her friend's lips twitch slightly. "we love you lots lil, we're always going to be here."

lillie frowned thinking of when rory goes to harvard. it's something that has been bugging her quite a lot recently. she knows she has a very small chance of getting into harvard or any good school close by. the fear of her long term best friend forgetting about her scares her more than anything. she knows its silly but that doesn't stop the worry from creeping in. she doesn't want to be alone, she's always had rory. she wouldn't know what to do without her.

"thanks ror." lillie said anyway, she didn't want to tell her friend about her worries. she knew rory would just tell her once again that nothing would change. but how could it not when everything else is already changing so much.