𝘴𝘪𝘹

LILLIE LED ON her bed, her head hanging off the side as she read her book that jess gave her, she promised to read hemingway if he trialed reading homer

she actually liked it more than she expected to, she liked how it wasn't overloaded with symbolism and metaphors and everything was just what it was on the surface, no questions about it. though her heart did still belong in the worlds of orwell and atwood.

her reading was interrupted by her mom knocking on her door, stepping in and letting out a deep sigh seeing the position her daughter was in. "it's not very ladylike to sit like that, young lady." she scolded making the blonde internally groan before sitting up properly. "rory's on the phone for you." her mother smiled tightly giving her the phone before leaving, the girl immediately releasing a groan as she put the phone to her ear.

"hey ror." she said, going back to the position she was in before she was interrupted.

"hi, what are you doing?"

"oh you know just chilling by the sea with hemingway."

"hemingway?" rory questioned knowing it wasn't particularly lillie's tastes.

lillie nodded despite rory not being able to see her, "jess gave it to me. it's actually not too bad."

lillie could basically hear the smirk in rory's voice as she responded, "jess, huh?"

"shut up." she immediately replied, glaring at her ceiling.

she heard the other girl gasp dramatically before replying in a high pitched tone, "i didn't even say anything."

"you implied." lillie said bluntly.

"perhaps, but would i be wrong in my implications?" rory asked and lillie decided not to give her the satisfaction of attempting to answer. "just as i thought. you two are spending a lot of time together huh?"

"well aren't you the town's regular sleuth." the girl rolled her eyes.

"i'm just saying, it seems like he likes you."

"i should hope so considering he is my friend."

"i think he likes you a little more than friends, lil."

lillie's cheeks burned red, something she'd noticed had become a common occurrence since the mariano boy came to town. the idea of him liking her made her heart beat slightly faster and her hands to become clammy. "we're friends rory." she played it off with a scoff ignoring the beating in her chest.

"yeah sure, i believe that."

"did you call for any particular reason or did you just feel like bothering me?" the blonde asked changing the topic in hopes to calm the sudden fastened beating of her heart.

"just wondering if you wanted to come to the bookstore with me tonight. they're supposed to be getting a load of new books for the history section."

"that's probably because i've sold them out." the girl laughed. "but i can't tonight, my dad gets back in like twenty minutes so we're having a family dinner type thing." she sighed disappointedly.

"ah that's okay. we'll go some other time, unless you ditch me for jess." rory replies making the blonde groan once again. "say hi to your dad from me."

"will do. i should go, he'll be here soon and i'm still wearing my iron maiden t-shirt. mom will have a fit if i'm 'not dressed appropriately for dinner'." she said imitating her mother making rory chuckle.

"okay, i'll see you later lil."

"bye ror." she said before hanging up the phone and getting up from her bed, putting a bookmark in her book. she searched through her closet looking for something her mom would deem as 'appropriate attire for dinner.' she eventually decided on an uncomfortable light blue sundress that her mother bought her and she never ended up wearing.

she grimaced looking at herself in the dress in the mirror, smoothing it out before leaving her room and heading downstairs and into the kitchen where her mom was making dinner.

"honey do you mind setting the table? your dad will be home any minute." she nodded, doing as told. her dad was a writer, he's written multiple books, all of them yet to be on shelves. he travelled very regularly trying to get publishing companies to publish them. this left the relationship between the teen and her father slightly distant as she rarely saw him. nevertheless, she was always excited when he was home.

her father being away so often set her mother on edge and unfortunately took it out on her daughter a lot of the time. lillie's mother acted as her primary critic, always finding something about her to shame her for. whether it be her clothes, her friends, her interests, practically anything about or associated with lillie.

they used to be happier. her dad used to work at a business firm, which allowed him to actually live in his house with his family most days. she used to be very close with her dad, picking up on his love of literature from an early age. they used to be in a better financial state too, a steady income allowed lillie's parents to send her to private school until the age of 6 which lillie wasn't too upset about leaving behind as she got to attend school with her best friend.

her family started to fall apart when her father suddenly decided to chase his dream without at all consulting her mother. this caused a rift between her parents which her mother tried to ignore and continue to act as everything was normal not knowing her daughter had seen her crying alone in her bedroom when her father was gone for weeks.

"hello?" a voice called, breaking lillie from her thoughts, a grin stretching across her face. "where are my girls?"

"dad!" lillie said excitedly bounding into the foyer hugging her father tightly who shared the same large grin. her mother followed with a stern frown.

"lillie, what have i told you about running?" she scolded. "this is your fault, sam." she shook her head at her husband, lillie choosing to ignore the woman and just focus on her dad.

"how was LA?" she asked enthusiastically, pulling away from the hug.

her dad was about to answer before being cut off by her mom. "save the chit chat for dinner. come on before it gets cold." she said, ushering the other two out of the foyer and into the dining room.

"i think we're in trouble." sam whispered to lillie making her giggle quietly.

this was bound to be eventful.