𝘵𝘸𝘰

"GIRLS THEY'RE HERE!"

the two girls were now sat at rory's desk, the brunette sat in the chair and the blonde perched on top of the desk, reading one of rory's books, pursing her lips in concentration only looking up when she heard lorelai's voice.

there stood an unfamiliar boy whom she assumed was luke's nephew. he had messy brown hair and matching brown eyes that met lillie's blue ones. "hey." she said, nudging her best friend who still hadn't looked up.

"hey." the boy replied, still looking at lillie, his brows furrowed slightly. 

"hi, i'm rory." the gilmore introduced herself politely then gesturing to her friend who was uncharacteristically quiet as he looked around her room. "oh, and this is my friend, lillie." she spoke for the other.

"jess." the boy introduced himself shortly, glancing at all the books rory owned. "wow, aren't we hooked on phonics." he commented.

"oh i read a lot. do you read?" rory smiled, standing up as lillie simply swung her legs back and forth looking at her shoes awkwardly.

"not much." jess replies dryly eyeing the silent girl before taking a book off the shelf.

"i can loan you that if you want. it's great."

"no thanks." jess said putting the book back.

"well if you change your mind..."

loreali came in, interrupting the slightly awkward exchange. "okay, we really need to get jackson away from the lemons now, so we're moving the feast in the living room." she said before leaving.

"be right there." rory replied as jess moved to the window, closer to where lillie was sat.

"so do these open?"

"oh no, they're just for the aesthetic. not at all functional." lillie joked quietly making the boy's lips turn up slightly.

" you just have to unlatch them and then push." rory explained ignoring the other's comment.

"great. shall we?" jess spoke glancing at the two girls.

"shall we what?"

"he wants to bail, ror." lillie said tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. "where do you plan on going, stark?" she asks, folding her arms over her chest.

"i don't know, wherever?" he answered with a shrug.

"it's tuesday night, there's no where to bail to. the 24-hour mini-mart just closed twenty minutes ago." rory stated.

"so we'll walk around or sit on a bench and stare at our shoes." jess said. 

"as fun as that sounds, i'm actually pretty hungry so let's just eat then you can go wherever you like. trust me, sookie makes the best food." the blonde protested. she knew it would upset luke if the boy left since he's clearly trying hard to help his nephew feel comfortable.

"why should i?" jess asked narrowing his eyes slightly in the blonde's direction.

"should you what?"

"trust you. i don't know you." he answered, stepping slightly close to the girl making her breath catch in her throat.

"well, you'll just have to get to know me then." she said as rory looked between them, detecting some sort of tension making her smile awkwardly as jess just stared at her best friend. 

"i guess i will."

"okay, let's eat." lillie announced triumphantly hopping off the desk before going into the kitchen, the other two teenagers following behind her. 

rory grabs a soda for herself, offering on to jess knowing the blonde would just help herself. "oh, i'll get it." he answers. rory nods, gesturing to lillie for them both to move into the living room and the blonde nods, her eyes flickering to the teenage boy before following the other gilmore.

"nice shirt." she heard the boy say before she left making her stop in her tracks and spin on her heel, walking back into the kitchen. 

"excuse me?" she asked tucking her hair behind her ear again, a nervous habit she'd adapted years ago.

"i like your shirt." he reiterated gesturing to her smiths t-shirt putting his hands in his pockets awkwardly making lillie smile slightly.

"thanks." she smiled wider, watching as jess moved to the fridge grabbing a bottle of beer making a frown form on her lips. 

"wanna share?" 

"no," she paused taking the bottle from him and putting it back in the fridge then turning back to jess, leaning against the fridge with a disapproving look on her face. "i do not."

"well that face can't be good."

she sighed as she shook her head, "look, i get you don't want to be here, but just pretend to make an effort."

"i'm not really a good actor." he smirked slightly, stepping closer to the blonde making her hesitate before speaking.

"w-well just leave the beer and stay through dinner and i'll owe you one, okay?" he contemplated for a moment, biting his bottom lip as he stared the girl down. "come on, it's just one night."

"fine." she smiled smugly.

"let's go then." she said, pushing him in front of her to make sure he actually went to the living room, grabbing them both a soda before going into the living room.

"hi luke!" she smiles brightly, giving the grumpy diner owner a hug.

lillie and luke are pretty close. he's always been there when her own parents let her down, she kind of looks up to him as a father figure. he's around more often than her biological dad, he lets her help him out at the diner for some extra cash as he knows her family struggles with money. she also looks up to lorelai as a mother figure, she always thought they would make a good couple.

"hey squirt." he smiles ruffling her hair. she scrunched up her nose before sitting down next to jess handing him the soda she picked up for him

"here, there's no alcohol in it but it tastes like grape." she whispered to him handing him the soda as he rolled his eyes. 

"lemon?" jackson said excitedly, shoving the fruit in the boy's face.

"you owe me." he whispered back to the blonde making a grin stretch across her face, she quickly hid it with her hair. luke smiled at his nephew as lorelai looked between the two teenagers sceptically, noticing the pink on the blonde's cheeks.