CHAPTER 34: The End

"STOP!!" Frisk yelled as she jumped in front of Death with her arms spread apart wide. The rose petals along the ground from whom he had turned to ash blossomed with life upon the opening of her soul. They flourished, much as if she had been crying from a thousand feet away from the fight. The cracked nature of the barrier keeping the compelling force trapped within her soul was beginning to leak out more than ever before. Death could feel her body began to wither away as the force consumed her heart. "PLEASE!!' She cried, shaking tremendously in both of their presences.

Death immediately let down is guard, hesitating to raise his weapon at the standing child in front of him. He thought hard in the vigorous setting with much unnerve; what would be his next move when encountering the Goddess of War following this clash of sword and bone?

The entire chapel blossomed with Life and fresh flowers sprouted from the tiles beneath all three of them. They emerged prosperous, despite the lack of fundamentals provided beneath the small church. The air, now flourished with the fresh scent of a meadow, as her scream echoed within Death's trapped mind; it forever plagued his memory to see the dreadful, heinous fear in her eyes.

Death never would have imagined he would be the one to impose such emotions towards her fragile heart; it devastated his soul greatly.

Death could see Undyne's glare from beyond Frisk's static figure. She was unmoving, only the rise and fall of her shoulders deemed the true vitality of her brain to remain intact. Undyne's teeth flared as she snarled in his direction in pure indignation, though, Death could see the meager hint of satisfaction resting within her complexion.

Frisk's back faced towards Death as time decelerated precipitously; all he could see was the elegant hair he had been so close to caressing moments before the jurisdiction occurred. Frisk helplessly turned towards Death, unable to look at The Goddess' revolting nature of dismay. Her pained smile held a wafting sense of relief embedded within it, much like Undyne's. She could no longer speak in the soothing voice he had come to know so well.

"I ..." She said, tears falling from her dismayed eyes. Death could see into the depths of her soul, despite the lack of one, through the sheer glint of hope shining from her retina. The golden eyes of truth remained unphased by the chaos that encased her body. "I don't want you to get hurt too." She said, with a sad smile.

Her voice began to crack as her eyes locked with Death's empty sockets. His eyes widened in fear as she stood her ground in front of the oncoming attack by his perpetrator. Death could hear the ticking of seconds as time grew slower and slower. The dull, insipid clock implanted into his skull drove him mad in those mere moments.

He couldn't think.

He couldn't breathe.

All he could see were the bright blue spears of Undyne's rage aimed straight for Frisk's fragile body. His eyes amplified the fear in his eyes as he scrambled for her, pleading to anyone. Pleading that her story did not end here.

"FRISK!" He cried, shoving her out of the direction of the attack and pushing her to the ground with the base of his skeletal palm. The formidable touch of death encased all three of them as his eyes lowered at the attacking Goddess. His face resided in such an apoplectic way, even the Goddess' irate visage remained unmatched for Death's in that very moment.

Countering the attack, he glared towards Undyne with murderous eyes. Death had the intent to kill her.

He knew she could not match the strength that came with the new emotions that fluctuated through him, coursing through his bones. He had never felt such antagonistic purposes before. His soul was vulnerable to any conceding force, knowing that she had almost killed her. "YOU--!" Death bellowed, losing his calm, facade of a voice. His vile magic became encased with a darkness as he stimulated more power than ever imagined.

"Hmph." Undyne retorted, pushing Death's fragile sentiments into a state of utter confusion. She nodded towards the fallen body of the girl he tried so hard to protect in the end. "At least I didn't have to finish the job." She taunted further, looking down upon the powerful god with satisfaction.

Death turned, realizing what he had done on impulse of saving the girl's life; he looked towards her collapsed frame in which rested on the ground. "no No nO NO!" He said, dropping to his knees and cowering as if he were the mortal himself.

"You really are pathetic." The goddess sneered towards his broken soul. She felt no pity for the actions he had done, for in her mind, Death had gotten what he deserved.

"This ..." Death said quietly, threatening to choke on his own words, muttered the first expression that came to his mind. "...FUCKING CURSE!" He screamed.

He screamed enough for the other gods to hear his cry, for his shattered heart could no longer contemplate his livid rationality. He was only capable of bending his knees, collapsed to the will of the small human in front of him.

"Who knew you would kill her for me?" The Goddess scoffed, further escalating the seeping power vacuum of the imbalance.

"nO! NO NO!" Death scrambled for her desolate body, as she turned her head towards him lovingly. She could only give him a sad, grieved smile as the life threatened to leave her eyes. The very eyes he had become entranced by.

"You murdered her in the end, not me, Sans."

A single tear ran down her pale cheek, as the blood from her failed organs began to leak from the crevasse of her parted lips. Death was now completely and utterly alone. Surrounding him, once full of life, now rested within a cavern of sorrow and decay.

Desolate and empty.

"Now we've both lost someone special to us. This is what it feels like, Sans."

Her body began to wither away as she only painfully raised her heavy hand with the last ounce of strength she possessed. Reaching for Death's cheek, she attempted to speak, however, only found a whisper left of her original body.

"Though, I don't know what could be so special about a meager human."

Death caressed her hand, placing his own on top of hers. He grasped her palm, holding it fondly, afraid to let go. He could look into her eyes, heavy and weak, her breathing slowed as her physical body began to turn into ash.

Just like everything else he touched.

He couldn't say anything in response, Death could only stare into her eyes, begging to reassure her that he would be by her side in the very end. Tears rained down from his sockets, as if they were never ending, he pleaded for this all to be a dream.

He prayed to whatever god was out there to bring her back. To keep her alive so he could have just one more laugh with her.

"Karma was out for you all this time, I suppose."

Death leaned in, still holding her hand as it begun to grow still from the tightened muscles of death. The rigor mortis started to initiate as he placed a single kiss along the lips of her body just as the rest faded away into ash.

"I'm done here." The Goddess said, scoffing once more at this pathetic nature, and walking away from his pitiful excuse of emotions.

He could no longer hear the echoing footsteps of her clicked heels. He could only hear the static that erupted within his tormented mind. His greatest fear had blossomed into his aghast book of death. Running his fingers through the ashes, he could only remember the simple statement of Frisk, promising to be his friend for forever.

"Frisk.." He spoke, his voice, quiet and full of despair, "Tori.."

"I'm sorry."

He looked towards the ground, squinting his eyes shut, hoping for him to wake up in his chamber of a home. The guilt that rested along his heart remained immeasurable, for it weighed for all of his sins.

"I've failed you."