Chapter Nineteen

"I told they were cultists!"

"Okay, okay you called it. Shut up."

"Today we purify Sanctum

"Today we purify Sanctum. Adjusters go forth and find the non-believers. Bring them here. If they resist you may take their lives." Groggily zoning back into reality I open my eyes to find myself bound on the floor of a room lit in an amber glow. Shakily finding my knees I gaze around at the circle we've all found ourselves stuck in. My gaze trailing over the shrine they have lit of the Primes before us, I warily gaze around at the circle those in Sanctum have formed around us. Not everyone in Sanctum, perhaps a couple dozen if you don't count those spread out in a circle.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I trail my gaze over my bound friends. When I spot Bellamy who sits past Miller and Layla, I see him already watching me with a close and expectant look as if he's trying to figure out how okay I am. The haze leaving my head I give him a small nod before the woman leading this small cult hums "Good. You're all awake." Biting on the gag in my mouth I twist my wrists in my binds in an attempt to break free as the woman states "Good. Let's begin." When she kneels before Layla I take note of the man who approaches with a saucer of sorts. Watching closely, the woman takes Layla's gag out "Do you or do you not believe in the divinity of the Primes?"

"You don't need a potion to find out my truth" Layla spits out lowly "Witch. Primes are not gods. They are liars and murderers."

Swiftly and without hesitation I feel a momentary panic set in seeing the leader swiftly slit Layla's throat. As her body topples carelessly to the floor I hear Nelson's muffled cries through his gag. Watching them approach Miller I feel every protective instinct of my being kick in. Seeing Miller panic I launch myself up and forwards towards the woman. I only get to one knee before hands grab me by my shoulders and shove me back down on the floor with a thud. Miller's panicked eyes sparking my fight I slam my boot into the man's ankle before throwing my bound hands into his gut with a loud grunt. I don't back up for long before suddenly more hands are on me to keep me on my knees. I struggle for another moment before I hear Miller pleading "You don't have to do this. We're not your enemy."