Chapter 2: Loyal

JACK

Jack O'Neal stared after the girl he just met. He could feel the turmoil in his blood, the sick desire that emerged simply upon looking at her. Jack had to calm his breathing because a dangerously strong part of him wanted to run for her, taste her, feel her. Her golden curls bounced slightly up and down as she walked away from him, but he noticed how slow and unstable she is on her feet. She's sick, he figured and sighed as he approached her husband. Giselle left, not throwing a second glance towards those girls that taunted her.

Lord Adam sat down and placed his head in his hands. He was a handsome man, but the tolls of time and rough life showed on his hard face. Such a pity, thought Jack, for a man to waste his chance at eternity. But then Jack remembered why Lord Adam chose not to join Night-Children, he wanted an heir.

"That one," Lord Adam pointed his finger toward where the girl was moments ago, "will bury me one day."

"I've noticed she's sick." Jack said.

"Yes, she refuses to see a castle doctor. She has never been sickly, but she always had an aura of death around her." Adam frowned.

"Well, you know who her mother was." Jack said carefully, not wanting to suggest anything. Adam slightly nodded and Jack realised he really did care for the girl.

"She hasn't..." Adam began, "...she hasn't shown any signs of her mother's power. You know I would have already interceded on your behalf. She would not have stayed human if she had any of Leona's power in her blood." Adam lowered his voice. He quickly got up and gestured towards Jack. "Let's go to my chambers."

Jack followed, haunted by a feeling he was unable to place, a sort of hollowness at the thought of the girl that ran from them, her youth and innocence. And the words she said, how a woman must be mad to not want to be a mother. He believed that to be true, but he could not bring himself to think ill of his Madame, the woman that refused to give him a child.

Chateau de Carcassonne was magnificent, monumental, almost terrifyingly big. The ramparts made of stone blocks seemed impossible to take down or even climb over. Jack remembered his Madame's castle, Cardona, so small compared to this stone beast.

Jack followed Lord Adam up the stairs behind the great hall of the castle, where the ball will be surely held later tonight. They reached Adam's humble chambers, a room with an oak table and many books. Another door led from the room, Jack figured it must have taken Adam to his and Giselle's bed. Adam gestured towards the wooden stool and Jack sat.

"Will you be taking your gift?" Jack asked as soon as Adam sat down. It is the reason he had called Jack to Carcassonne in the first place.

"I must, I'm afraid. I wanted to wait until Giselle was pregnant but I must stop thinking about an heir. I will have an eternity to think about it once Giselle and I are made." Adam said.

"It is... safer if Giselle is made." Jack pointed out.

"She wants a baby. I don't know how to tell her she might never have one simply because she's married to me. But that is none of your concern, tell me, will Madame De Noves run for the throne?" Lord Adam asked.

Jack couldn't help but feel those words haunt him, she wants a baby, he repeated in his head. How happy he would be if a woman told him she wanted a baby, if his Madame had told him she wanted a baby.

"Madame De Noves is well aware she wouldn't win, but there simply isn't anyone. Bryce is running." Jack said.

"I know. My mother sent a letter." Said Adam.

"And Aksana, as well. Which is Bryce twice. And that is it, we have no one else." Jack sighed. Adam had the right to run for the throne, if only he decided he wished to become one of Night-Children.

"No one wants to be a king of the falling kingdom." Adam murmured. Jack got up, ready to leave.

"You should tell your lady about your heritage. That girl that threatened her today was serious. Also, the Monarchy would gladly let Giselle become one of us if it meant there was no way for her mother's power to emerge." Jack said and watched Adam nod in agreement.

Jack thought about the girl when he left Lord Adam's chambers. He thought about her sweet innocence, the way her doe eyes filled with tears when those awful women threatened her. Jack swallowed hard, feeling the need to have her overcome him. The beast in him lost all sense of reason and he felt his teeth ache, needing to feel just a drop of her blood. He would snatch her, steal her if it only meant he would taste her. Quickly, he had to gather himself. Especially since his Madame sent him here for one single reason, to kill this very same girl.