Chapter Twelve

Ro's fears were well founded. Everywhere she went there was someone laughing or whispering about her, but she could deal with the childish actions of the frivolous maids. What was harder to accept was Evangeline's treatment of her. She was fuming that Ro had spent the day alone with Theodosius. She did not seem to be able to get over her jealousy, no matter how many times Ro assured her that nothing had or would ever happen between her and him. Ro enforced the fact that they were just friends, although Evangeline was convinced they were lovers.

Evangeline kept Ro's torture to snarky comments and working her so hard she barely had time to eat and sleep. Everywhere she went, there was a new mess or task to be taken care of, some so senseless and mind-numbing she almost wished she were back with the Pirates. One night Evangeline asked Ro to watch over her until dawn, as she was sure there was a fly hiding in her room somewhere biting her fair skin. Fortunately for Ro Evangeline could not sleep with her constantly yawning and stomach growling, so after a couple of hours she sent her away in a strop. Ro had begun to suspect that Evangeline was purposefully creating messes for her, knocking over plant pots and purposefully causing a flood by leaving the water system on. Ro was exhausted and she could not see a light at the end of the tunnel.

She was currently busy scrubbing at a dark stain of wine, which was proving impossible to remove from the plush white carpet. Evangeline was sat at her vanity writing a love letter to Theodosius while Ro was at her feet, valiantly trying to remove the stain from the spilt golden goblet. Ro bit her tongue even though she was sure Evangeline had 'accidentally-on-purpose' knocked the drink over because she had finished with her other chores. Just as Ro was about to give up and through the towel in, there was a polite knock at the door and Annalise stepped in.

"Oh Princess Annalise, sister, it is so wonderful to see you!" Evangeline exclaimed sweetly.

"Yes... yes you too." Annalise murmured distantly, although a real smile bloomed onto her face when she noticed Ro. "Ro what are you doing down there?" Annalise asked as Ro sat up onto her knees and gave a tired wave.

"She knocked over my drink. She is useless, is she not?" Evangeline sighed pitifully, causing Ro to blush and tears to fill her eyes.

She looked down and continued scrubbing violently like the maid she was, whilst the fair ladies stood above her with grace and perfection. She was worthless, and was coming to accept it.

"Oh well, accidents happen, we can just cover it up with a rug or something Ro – please do not stress yourself." Annalise enforced as she placed a kind hand on her friends shoulder.

"That is true, although if she were half competent an accident like this would have never happened." Evangeline tutted. "Anyway, what can I do for you your highness?" Evangeline asked with her best sucking-up smile.

"Well actually my brother is looking for you in the stables. He has asked if you would be so kind as to go and humour him for an hour or two." Annalise explained causing Ro to tense.

A dark emotion swirled in her stomach as she still furiously tried to delete the stain from existence. Could it be that she was feeling jealous? Ro hoped not... She could not afford to have grown feelings for the Prince, although his smile was always on her mind.

"Oh my goodness... Oh my goodness, my dream has come true!" Evangeline squealed making Ro feel wretched. "Oh how do I look?" She asked in a panic, as if she had not been pampering and preening herself all morning.

"You look beautiful your ladyship." Ro replied resignedly, causing Annalise to raise her eyebrows.

"Well of course, that is a given... I shall be back later, hopefully a lot later." Evangeline giggled to herself as she rushed from the room with the grace of a headless chicken.

Ro had never seen her move so fast, and she could not understand why Theo wanted to see her. Ro had the impression that he could not stand her! Was he going to take her to their special place? Ro's stomach twisted at the though, and she started scrubbing harder in consequence. As soon as Evangeline had evacuated the room, Annalise sighed in relief and knelt next to Ro, taking her hands into her own and asking her to sit next to her on the futon.

"Ok Annalise, but I am afraid I cannot talk for long – I have a list of chores as long as my arm to complete before suppertime."

"Ok of course Ro, but I have to admit to you I may or may not have just told a lie... you see my brother does not really want to see Evangeline. You must know he cannot stand her. I only said that to get her out of the room – the truth is I cannot stand her company." Annalise chuckled, her green eyes dancing with mischief making Ro feel like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders.

"Really? Phew... I mean poor Evangeline. I wonder how long she will wait for him."

"I am sure I have ridded her from your company for at least a couple of hours." Annalise winked. "But I do actually have a reason for coming here... Theo asked me to track you down and make sure you are ok. He says that he has not seen you for a few days, and is worried that your little excursion has caused you problems with Evangeline. Are you avoiding him?"

"Oh, I am fine just really busy." Ro shrugged, secretly thinking to herself about the fact that Evangeline told her to stay away from him, which was for the best as there was no use in pursuing a relationship of any kind when it would only end in heartbreak for Ro.

"I see. You know, Evangeline does not like anyone prettier then her. She is jealous of you because you are beautiful and kind and well liked, and Theo likes you - not her. That is why she treats you badly. However, you really do not have to deal with it Ro. Just say the word and you will never have to even look at her again." Annalise promised, and Ro was touched but she was not about to take the cowards route out. She could deal with Evangeline and her spitefulness.

"Thank you Annalise, that is very kind of you to say, but not true. I am a simple servant girl and he is a Prince. It is best that we do not talk. Anyway, I think you are the beautiful one, and Evangeline certainly has fair looks on the outside. I can deal with her; please do not worry about me." Ro replied genuinely.

"I understand Ro. If only Theo was not the heir to the throne. You would make a beautiful couple." She commented, making Ro go a deep red colour and a longing to hum in her heart. "Have you had any luck on your memories yet?"

"Well, sometimes I get a trigger and remember little bits, but never a full picture and I cannot remember my origins." She revealed sadly.

"I am sorry to hear that Ro, Well, just keep trying and I am sure it will come back to you eventually! Well I have to go now for my ballroom dancing lessons – we have a King and Queen coming to stay soon so of course Theo and I have to throw a massive fancy Ball and brush up on our people skills." Annalise sighed.

"Of course, I will see you soon." Ro replied as she stood and Annalise pulled her into a comforting hug.

When she had left, Ro felt more alone then ever, surrounded by silence with no clue as to where she belonged.

Who do you think the visiting King and Queen are guys? The reveal will be in the next chapter xoxo

Also, we are officially just over half way through this book!! Like if you are enjoying it so far please!

Edited