Annabelle's wish

Disclaimer: I don't own the Labyrinth or Dr Dorenil, I only own Annabelle

Once upon a time, there was a girl by the name of Annabelle. Her mother had died when she was 16 leaving her with her abusive father, stepmother, and half brothers. They had all contributed to her abuse - mentally, physically, and sexually. She knew that she had to leave before her 18th Birthday or she would be trapped in their abusive hold. The day before her 18th birthday she packed her things and the next morning before everyone else awoke she slipped from the house. She walked for hours hiding in alleyways and lane ways trying to stay out of sight from her abusive family. For most of the day, she got lucky but then her luck turned against her and she was spotted by her half brothers who chased her with their gang of friends.

She ran as fast as she could but due to her injured leg, they caught her and dragged her into the lane way across from the flower field where she had buried her mother years before. They beat her to the point where she welcomed death. She thought of her mother and how she would be seeing her soon and the happy times they had spent together. Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted a barn owl that looked as if it was watching her. She remembered the book that her mother used to read to her which had featured a king who could turn into an owl. She remembered the words her mother used to say, her mother's voice in her head telling her to say the words. This gave her the strength to called out "I wish that the Goblin King would come and take me away from here right now, please help me" she cried. Her half brothers and their friends laughed at her "he isn't coming and why would he? You're nothing but a pathetic stupid little brat who no one cares about!" and they continued to beat her.

Suddenly a voice boomed out behind them "unhand her this instant!". The group turned around shocked at the sight of the man in front of them. He was tall with spiky blond hair and mismatched eyes, he wore a black shirt and black pants with a cloak that made him look regal. The gang laughed nervously clearly frightened by the man in front of them. Annabelle looked up from where she lay against the wall, he had come for her! She reached out and grasped her belongings to her chest trying not to cry out in pain. "And what are you going to do? Try to stop us from hurting her, she belongs to us and you can't have her!" said Greg (one of her twin half brothers). "Yeah," said Angus (the other twin half brother). Annabelle's eyes went wide with shock, her half brothers had denied the Goblin King of his right to take her. "Very well, if a fight is what you want, a fight is what you'll get!" said the Goblin King. He flicked his hand and her half brothers' friends fell to the ground unconscious. Her half brothers looked at each other in shock. The Goblin King flicked his hand again and her half brothers fell to the ground unconscious.

Annabelle tried to move but pain rushed through her body and she cried out. The Goblin King turned to look at her with concern filled eyes. He stepped towards her. "Please don't hurt me," Annabelle said. The Goblin King could hear the fear in her voice as she spoke. "I am not here to hurt you, you called for me to help you and I have come to take you from here as you wished," he said as knelt beside her. "I will not hurt you, I see you are in a lot of pain and I will help you," he said. She nodded and tried to get up but once again pain ripped through her and she tried to hold back a pain-filled cry. The pain won out and she cried out in pain. The Goblin King looked at her with concern, he brushed her hair away from her face, trying to soothe her pain. He gently picked her up trying not to course more pain to her as he held her in his arms. Annabelle whimpered in pain as he lifted her up into his arms. She relished in the warmth of his arms, grateful for the first person who wanted to help her and not hurt her. He flicked his hand and her belongings disappeared. "Close your eyes precious," he said, she did as she was told. He flicked his hand again and they disappeared leaving behind a pile of glitter where they once stood.

They appeared in a beautiful room, "open your eyes little one, you're safe now. I won't let anyone hurt you again" said the Goblin King. She opened her eyes taking in the beautiful room. He carried her over to the bed, carefully laying her down on it. He turned to the door and called for a goblin to go for the healer. "At once your highness" she heard the goblin say and it ran off in search of the healer. The King turned back to her and walked over to the bed. He sat down beside her, "tell me your name my dear" he said. "Annabelle," she replied weakly. "My dear Annabelle I promise I won't let them hurt you ever again," he said. "My name is Jareth and I have bought you to my palace in the underground" he continued. He brushed her hair away from her face and gently brushed his hand down her face trying to soothe her. She relished in his touch, she never thought that someone would help her. Another burst of pain shot through her and she cried out in pain. Jareth looked down at her, it pained him to see her in such pain. "I feel so tired," said Annabelle, "I just want to sleep," she said. Jareth looked at her, "you need to keep your eyes open or you might not wake up" he said. Annabelle looked horrified but continued to fight to keep her eyes open.

There was a knock at the door, "enter" said Jareth. The door opened and a man stepped into the room. "Annabelle this is my healer Dorenil, he will help you," said Jareth. Dorenil walked to the bed and took one look at Annabelle and grasped. He was horrified at the number of injuries she had. "Can you help her?" asked Jareth. "Yes my King, I can. I'm horrified at the number of injuries she has, poor girl. How could someone do this to someone so innocent!" Dorenil said. Jareth explained her situation and how he had found her. Dorenil got to work quickly, trying to ease her pain. "My King I ask that you get her to drink this, it will get rid of the pain," Dorenil said. Jareth nodded and took the vial. He turned to Annabelle "this will help with the pain, ok?" He said. Annabelle nodded and Jareth held the vial to her lips, she opened her mouth and allowed him to pour the medicine into her mouth, she swallowed quickly, grimacing at the taste. She remembered her mother saying that if it tasted nice it won't work if it tastes horrible you know it is working. As soon as she had swallowed the last drop, the pain she had been in for hours disappeared and she was able to relax, no longer in pain. "So tired, must sleep" she mumbled. Jareth looked at her worried before turning to the healer, "is it safe for her to sleep now?" He asked. Dorenil looked up and over at Annabelle fighting to keep her eyes open, "yes it is safe now, in fact, I will put her in an enchanted sleep so that she will feel no pain while I continue to work. I will lift it before I leave but it will take a few hours for it to wear off" he said. Jareth nodded and turned to Annabelle "sleep now my dear, I will be here when you wake" he said softly to her. Annabelle nodded and closed her eyes falling into a deep sleep. Dorenil continued to work, not stopping until he had done everything he could to heal Annabelle. As he had promised he lifted the enchanted sleeping spell before he left.

Three hours went by before Annabelle woke up to find she was alone in the room. She looked around and awed at the beauty of the room and view out of the window. She didn't move for she feared that the pain would return. She closed her eyes again and once again fell asleep. She awoke three hours later to the feeling of someone touching her hair, she looked around confused before clutching her head as pain struck quickly as the memories of what happened returned to her. As quickly as the pain had come it had left leaving behind no pain. Seeing that she was pain Jareth looked at her with concern. She looked up at him and gave him a small smile, "the pain is gone, it doesn't hurt anymore" she said. Jareth smiled and brushed her hair away from her face. "I am pleased to see that you are out of pain now, I promise that no one will hurt you again," he said. "Thank you for helping me, my family abuses me a lot. They ... they touch me in inappropriate ways and they were going to hurt me more now that I am 18" she said. He looked at her sadly hating seeing her in so much pain. "They can't hurt you now" he replied. "I know I will have one more pain-filled experience in a few months when I fully come into my maturity, my mother told me that is when I will come into my magical inheritance, she warned me that it will be extremely painful" Annabelle told him. Jareth looked at her surprised, "I see, I will have Dorenil prepared to be called at a moment's notice so that he can tend to you" Jareth said. "Thank you Jareth," Annabelle said. "Sleep now, I will be here when you wake," Jareth said. Annabelle nodded and drifted off into a painless and dreamless sleep.