Zane x Reader: Tension

Pairing: Zane x Reader
Type: Angst/fluff kinda a drabble, sorry????
Wow, a Zane chapter that isn't straight up angst like the last one, whoopsie
As always, if you have a request or wanna see a part continued/ as a full book, comment!
Words: 778

Sometimes, relationships don't work out.
They don't last, and it causes an awkward tension amongst friend groups.
And then you're hanging around your ex because you have mutual friends, and you have to try so hard to act normal and pretend as if it doesn't still hurt every time you look at them.
But it does.
It hurts bad, because I made a huge mistake. A stupid mistake, of calling the relationship off because I didn't think I was ready for the commitment of being in love.
And now it's been six months, and I'm still head over heels for him.
Head over heels for a guy that I called it off with, who didn't do a thing to deserve it.
Head over heels for a guy that I no longer could call my own.

And, to make matters even worse, we're not just in the same friend group; we're on the same damn team.
And to make the worse matters even worse, we're partnered up to patrol the city together tonight. All alone. Oh, joy.

Now, this happens every so often; I'll be partnered up with Lloyd one night, then Cole, then Jay, then Nya, blah, blah, blah. 
I'm in my zone, focused, and I get work done. I'm alert and I communicate well, and I work with my partner as a solid unit.
And then, I'm partnered up with Zane, and I'm awkward, and nervous. I stumble and fidget.
It feels like a grade school crush, and the awkward failed attempts to avoid family at a reunion all at once.
It's always awkward, Zane is quiet and analytical, and I'm quiet and distanced.

Neither of us ever mention what happened, or mention the tension. Zane always seems like he knows what's going on, but he never says a thing about it. Neither do I.

But tonight, as we patrolled the city, jumping from roof to roof, waiting, and continuing on, he decided to speak as we sat waiting on a quiet rooftop.

"You seem uneasy. Is it because of me?" The nindroid asked bluntly, frowning softly over at me. Zane still cared about me, I knew he did. That's what made me feel even worse about what I'd done.

"No, no. Not because of you. Just... patrolling makes me nervous, that's all," I murmured and glanced away.

"I have talked to Lloyd and Jay about your performance while patrolling with them. They say you are alert and attentive when with them. I sense that it is me." The platinum blonde ninja told me, shaking his head.
"If it will ease your concious, I don't hold anything against you. I understand your decisions," He said, smiling gently at me.

Damnitt, butterflies, no one asked for you. Not now, not ever. Go away and don't come again some other day.
"Thanks, Zane..." I said, then sighed. "I hold it against me though. I kind of... I kind of regret it, ya know?" I murmured shyly.

The nindroid frowned a bit at that, looking somewhat confused.
"You regret it? Why?" Zane asked. He didn't seem judgmental or hostile in the least- hell, he was zane, the nicest and most understanding person I think I've ever met.
Socially inept at times? Yes. But sweet? Absolutely.
So, I felt comfortable enough to answer.

"Because I didn't mean it. I just panicked. I felt myself growing to... care about you more than I've cared about anything or anybody, and it was scary. So I bailed," I responded, and frowned dissapointedly at myself, looking down.

After a moment, I felt a hand on my shoulder, and looked up to see a gentle smile on Zane's face.
"(Y/N), it is scary for me too. Love is not something usual for a nindroid. But as scary as it was, I have found myself not missing loving you, at all." Zane said, with a sweet smile.

I was shocked. Then I scowled. He didn't miss loving me? How rude can you possibly be to say that right to my fa-

"Because I never stopped loving you, (Y/n). I couldn't. I would be delighted if you would once again be mine," the nindroid said, offering his hand to me.

It took me a moment to let that process, but once it did, I gave a soft laugh and took his hand.
How... Zane of him.
I cant believe that I thought he meant he hadn't missed loving me. I should have known the big sweetheart wouldn't say that.

"I would be delighted as well," I said with a soft smile, taking his hand.

And once again, I felt whole, and at peace around my love.