Diagon Alley, a Wizard's Day Out

August 20th, 1985. Diagon Alley, Magical London, Britain, England. 10:30 AM.

August 20th was turning out to be one of Harry's favourite days. He had gotten up that morning, preparing to spend the day in the goblin daycare with the other goblings, when his bestest friends in the whole world walked into Gringotts with Narcissa. Great big smiles were on all of their faces and Narcissa had whisked him away to go enjoy the day in Diagon Alley proper. They got some new robes, as they hadn't started to grow out of their robes yet but it was always good to be prepared. They then went and wandered through Florish and Blott's, looking for books that caught their eyes. After they left the book shoppe, they went to the Magical Menagerie.

Neville and Draco had dragged Harry and Narcissa into Magical Menagerie, their hearts set on getting pets. Narcissa simply shook her head and bade the two rambunctious boys go off but stay together. She walked Harry, the self-appointed calm child, around the shop; they had just barely gotten into the feline aisle when Harry's eyes were drawn to a tiny kitten. He reached over and tugged politely on Narcissa's sleeve, not taking his eyes off the tiny ball of fluff.

"Yes, dear?" Narcissa said, her eyes studying a bag of bird feed. When he didn't respond she looked over at him and saw him staring deeply into the eyes of a tiny kitten. A ghost of a smile appeared on her lips before placing a hand on his shoulder. "Stay here with the cats, I'll get one of the shop attendants and we'll see about letting you hold the kitten who's caught your eye. Okay?"

At his nod, Narcissa took off to go find a shop attendant who wasn't too busy.

Danny Read was a nineteen-year-old muggle-born, standing five foot ten inches with brown skin. Danny's hair was short and curly with a light brown hue. Danny had both ears pierced and a scenic tattoo covering their left hand. They were wiping down the counter by the register when they saw Narcissa walking towards them. A smile found its way to Danny's face upon noticing her.

Narcissa walked up to the counter, a polite smile on her face. "Hello. I was wondering if you could possibly help us. My cousin's son would like to take a closer look at one of the kittens you have." She smiled at Danny and her smile grew when Danny nodded their head.

"Of course, let me just get my wand," Danny reached next to the register, into a sort of clear muggle fishbowl, and pulled out what appeared to be a twelve-inch long spruce wand. Together the duo walked over to the cat section where they saw Harry with his fand pressed against the glass side of an enclosure with the cat inside reciprocating.

Danny stalled before a look of pure fear fell over their face. "Get back! Don't mess with that one!"

Harry fell back in a fright, his head stapping to the side to look at the shop attendant. His eyes grew wet and he began to cry. The kitten he was mesmerized with arched its back and hissed at Danny.

Narcissa's face drew into a frown, her eyes glaring daggers at Danny. "And just what do you think you're doing? Scaring the son of Lord Black like that."

Danny's eyes grew wide, having read The Daily Prophet articles about Lord Black's release from Azkaban. "Oh, I meant no harm. It's just, that particular kitten has quite the mean streak. I simply didn't want harm to come to the young Heir Black."

The sound of Harry's cries drew the attention of Neville and Draco, who came rushing to their friend's aid. The two came to rest on either side of Harry, and offer him their silent support. The tiny kitten in the enclosure paced back and forth, rubbing its side up against the front panel of the glass, tiny and sad sounds coming out of the small creature's throat.

"Why, exactly, do you say this particular kitten has "quite the mean streak"?"

"We're not quite sure, but we suspect that it's either mostly Kneazel or someone's attempt to domesticate a Nundu," Danny explained, a forlorn look on their face. "It came in with the last delivery, which was Sunday, and it can't be more than a couple weeks old."

Harry sniffled and broke away from his friends. He pressed his hand against the side of the glass, feeling a small amount of magic push through his hand and the glass to provide soothing warmth to the tiny kitten. "I don't care that you don't like this one. This is the one I want to see."

Danny nodded and hurried to unlock the enclosure to allow the young boy, young Heir, to pick up the tiny kitten who curled around the boy's neck. Danny was hesitant to leave the kitten where it had settled, but upon catching Narcissa's glare they backed off.

Narcissa smiled at her cousin's son, his eyes filled with a soft sort of happiness and his face aglow in happiness. She was proud of what he had done, he was only a boy of five yet had already shown to be rather independent. She looked over at the attendant, a scowl on her face. "I believe this is the kitten he has chosen, he'll want to carry it around with us." 

Danny nodded and motioned for the group to go about their business.

Narcissa and the boys went back to how they were wandering before. It was roughly twenty minutes before Neville and Draco came to find Narcissa and Harry. Draco had a small peachick clutched against his chest, its white feathers offset by its startlingly clear blue eyes. Neville, on the other hand, had a pair of European Finches. The two boys smiled at Harry and his kitten, while Harry smiled at the two boys and their birds.

Narcissa led the boys around the shop, picking up some food for each of the animals. She smiled at Harry, seeing him hold up collars to his kitten to see what it preferred. She noticed Draco getting a collar of his peachick, and smiled at how smart it was.

With the three boys in tow, Narcissa went up to the counter and paid for everyone's things. With that done, the four decided to go get some ice cream at Florean Fortescue's.

A/N

And that's this week's chapter done (with a couple hundred words less than last weeks). However, I made a presentation for all of their pets. I'll leave the link down below.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ukZsQABeBLvNq7ZxyKGqvFrl4YfOOqeA4IvUufbBzyY/edit?usp=sharing

This week, there's a contest. As you may have noticed, the boys didn't name their pets. Leave your pet name suggestion in the comments and I'll pick my favourites. They will then get their pet name used and may even get an OC to appear in the background.

Ta-ta for now,

MrsDiablousRiddle.