Clefairy and the Moon Stone

"So, Ash?" came Brock's voice as they walked together. Serena's ears perked up at hearing her boyfriend's name, whilst her fingers remained clenched around her pokedex - said pokedex had a map screen that she was using to navigate. "Did you hear a legend about Mt Moon, it is said that a meteorite hit the mountain in prehistoric times."

"Whoa, really," Ash blinked, a similar reaction being on Serena's and Misty's faces.  Then he turned to look at the approaching mountain with a look of amazement on his face, kinda impressed that the mountain survived that. "Meteorite huh."

"Yeah, it was said to contain a trace amount of Moon Stone within the core of the meteorite. Not enough to evolve nearby Pokemon, but enough for it to trigger on touch," the teenager explained to the 3 of them. "From what I've heard, the Clefairy in the mountain worship the stone almost like a god. The stories claim they carry tiny rocks with the tiniest amount of moon stone in them as part of their worship, never evolving due to the limited moon stone amount."

Hearing the Pokemon name, Serena blinked for a moment. She had heard of Clefairy before in her research, so it wasn't that. It was more the thought...that she kinda wanted one. Changing the page on her pokedex to the Clefairy entry, she scanned it. "Maybe I could own one of these Clefairy," she muttered, catching the attention of the others.

After hearing this, Brock shook his head slightly. "I hate to ruin your wishes," the blonde turned to look at him with a confused look on her face, Delta, who was walking at her owner's feet, did the same. "But the Clefairy never leave their habitat, they are drawn to the presence of the Moon Stone from the moment they are born as Cleffa. Any location with traces of Moon Stone, the Clefairy habitat and they rarely leave those locations."

This caused Serena to think for a moment. "Those stones you said, the ones the Clefairy carry. Are they always only trace amounts?" it seemed like she had an idea in her head, but she wasn't going to commit to it without confirmation from the Pokemon itself later on.

"They can have a lot more than a trace, sometimes its the whole rock. However, the Clefairy are never seen with the whole rock as the mere presence of it is enough to make them evolve if they get close and then the rock vanishes," came the response, as they neared the base of the mountain at last. "Are you thinking of finding one of these Moon Stones to potentially lure a Pokemon to come with you?"

"...Not lure really," Serena commented as she thought about it, before looking at her pokedex again. "I was considering finding one and befriending a Clefairy or Cleffa in the mountain. Then if they chose to come with me, I would confirm that I have the means to make them happy. But if they chose not to evolve, that would be fine."

Suddenly Misty gasped, distracting Brock before he could response to Serena. "Look!" the red head continued, pointing at a man in a laboratory outfit. It was smeared with blood and dirt, at least the blood didn't also cover his face unlike the dirt. Surrounding him were many Zubats, that all looked aggressive as they consistently tried to Absorb at his life force. For Serena, it was the sight of the blood smeared coat that was enough to make her go a little pale in the face. At least there wasn't any Rhyhorn around, though.

"Pikachu!" Ash yelled, reacting pretty quickly after they saw the Zubats. Nodding his head, the electric rodent jumped forward and began charging. Sparks emerged from his electric sacs, as Ash considered what exactly he needed to do. "Use Thunder Shock, but be careful. Try not to hit the man!"

Using the weakest electric move in his arsenal, Pikachu nodded and directed the electricity the best he could to prevent the man getting hurt as well. Enough energy shot at the ground nearby was enough to share the flying bats away, knowing their weakness. However, before the last of them left, Brock threw a Luxury Ball from their bags and caught the one that didn't leave. Seeing his friends look confused, he explained. "Zubat are known for their sensitive hearing and keen tracking skills. It could come in handy to find hurt Pokemon.....," he then looked at them again with a smile. "Or you if we got separated."