Chapter 4

I was standing outside waiting on Jensen, a lit cigarette in my hand. He had decided to browse the liquor store for something with a bit more kick to it, and I knew he would take forever so I stayed outside. I was watching the road, few people were passing by considering it was getting later. Growing bored, I started texting Elise and pacing back and forth, a bit further from the store each time.

-Your hubby is taking foreverrrr

I took another drag and my phone pinged a second later. I was at the side of the building so I leaned against it as I read.

~I knowww, he always takes so long picking 'the perfect booze' I think it's because he spent so much of his life in Russia, he says their liquor is so much higher proof.

I could almost picture the two of them in the store, him taking forever ass she followed behind him, him bitching and moaning about the perfect Vodka and her rolling her eyes at him and giggling. The two of them were so different from one another but they were so adorable together and I was both surprised and happy for her. I didn't think Maxus would let her date one of his employees,especially Jensen.

-How long does he usually take? I'm about to light my second cigarette and he's still not even at the register.

I put out my first and waited almost ten minutes, reading through and organizing my blog. Another ding.

~You may as well light another and wait, he takes forever if he's reading proofs lol

So I was stuck out here for the long haul. I chuckled, sent back a lol, texted him to respond when he's done, and I started wandering around town. I passed the park, I passed Elise's place, and I stopped when I reached work. It was dark inside as I watched it from across the street, and I smiled happily thinking of what happened today.

I was about to own the building and this chunk of the business, I was going to be groomed with my best friend to become vampires, and my transition was almost complete.

Life was so damn good, and i was so overly ecstatic.

I lit another stogie and watched a few people drive by, then I saw a few men walking towards me from the opposite direction I had come. They were on the other side, but they all kept looking at me, then at the building. The bald one in the front whispered to the big and short ones behind him and nodded towards me. The three started quickly towards me, and for some reason my feet wouldn't move. The big one got to me first and grabbed me by the collar, hoisting me up and pinning me against the building behind me. He stood and glared at me with his beady brown eyes in silence until the bald one walked over. I saw him pull out a knife and sing it around in his hand.

"We know who you are, you fang banger." He smirked.

"That the best insult you got?' I replied, knowing they had me mixed up with someone else.

"Cut the shit, Dante. We know you're just a vampire wanna be working for Maxus. Now you're gonna let us inside so we can do what we gotta do, understand?"

"Fuck you." I replied curtly, spitting on his chrome dome.

dumbest mistake I've ever made, and I didn't know what had come over me, but it was totally worth it. That is until his beady eyed henchman tossed me through the front window of the shop from across the street.

The stinging of the glass hurt like a son of a bitch, and as I laid bleeding, the only thought that came through my head was that I was making the carpet a mess, and that my first act as owner would have to be replacing the carpets and o zoning the place so it didn't reek of my blood. When I tried to stand, I realized I might not survive this encounter as the small one rammed right into me, lodging more glass inside me and snapping at me hungrily. I'd gotten my had up in enough time to grab his throat and keep him at bay, but I wasn't sure how much longer I could stay conscious, and I knew what would happen if I went under. I kicked and fought to throw him off me, screaming as loud as I could for help. when I finally got good enough footing, I shoved him back and scrambled to my feet, running towards the back office. I could hear the other two in the storage room grabbing at whatever they could in the fridges, but when they heard me slamming the back room door, I could hear them come out and grow quiet. 

I was sure that little rat bastard  told them where I was, and I realized as I reached for my phone that it was gone. I could feel a few of the longer shards shift around as I sat myself in one of the chairs, a million ideas running through my head if they decided to rip the door down and come in here. I was screwed, I knew it, and I was sure they did too. Time ticked by and I couldn't hear anything from the other side. My fingers were crossed that they were gone, but I had no way to know until someone came in. Consciousness was failing me, the sound of someone jimmying the lock open was reaching my ears, I could feel my breathing slowing down more and more. In the front of my mind, I was hoping that Jensen would realize I'd wandered off, smell my blood, and come help me in time, but the realist in the back of my head knew he would make it way too late. This was it, I was gonna die just as my life was getting started. The last thing I remembered was the door swinging open, and everything went black...