Chapter 5

It felt like I was floating the moment I went under. I knew I was either unconscious or dead, since somewhere in my mind I knew I couldn't float in reality.

This must have been limbo.

I was alone, floating about in a reddish black cloudy oblivion. I swam about, I fulfilled my incessant childhood dream of flying like a superhero, I even counted until I couldn't count anymore. I lost count around 90,000 and ended up laying back and forgetting. I wondered what had happened, did I die? Did Jensen find me, and I was in a hospital? Did the thieves get caught after what they did? What else did they end up doing? Did they get in to me?

It felt like eons of endlessness, until I thought I heard talking.

I didn't recognize the voice, but it was melodic, and sweet. The words seemed harsh, and bitter, but the voice made my heart happy.

"Hello?" I called out. No direct answer, but I could make out a few words.

"YOU ABSOLUTE...Kill EVERY ONE OF YOU!!" A woman's voice, enraged but beautiful. The sound of gooeyness reached my ears and bounced along the vast expanse I was in. Men screaming was cut off among it, and none of it made any sense to me.

"Who's there?" I asked, knowing I wouldn't get a response. The squeak of a door bounced around, along with a gasp. The sound of clicking filled the area and I winced.

"He's fucking bleeding so bad, Fate! What do we do???"

That same melodic voice, like honey to my very soul. I wished I could open my eyes, I wished I could see the person it was coming from.

"Hurry up and do it then! I'm going to turn him, I don't care what he says! I can't just let him die!" I could feel gentle hands on me and suddenly, my surroundings changed. I was now sitting in a vast expanse of water, the clouds around me now pink and white like a sunrise. Suddenly, I wasn't alone either.

A beautiful short blonde woman, her long hair down to her knees, appeared in the water before me. She was waist deep, and about 5 foot, smiling at me. She rushed over and wrapped me tightly in a hug, kiss my surgery scars, and smiled up at me.

"I apologize for my overly warm greeting, I've just never been happier to see a mortal soul before in my existence!" She stepped back, took a good look at me, holding my hands.

"A warm welcome is always a good one, and it's nice to see someone else. Where are we? What's happening?"

"We're in limbo, well technically you're in limbo." She replied.

"So I'm dead??"

"Not exactly, and if we can help it you won't be here for much longer. Someone is with my physical form helping you right now."

"Who...Who are you?" I asked, her looking familiar.

"Oh, come, Dante. You just saw my handwriting  less than four hours ago." She giggled. I thought back to the card immediately, and the three names written inside.

"Fate...?" I asked, my eyes growing wide. She nodded happily and hugged me again.

"You're so smart, I'm so glad Azaran chose you this year!"

"Chose me?"

"Yes, we had a choice of a few humans who have been begging to become vampires in your uncles covens, but none of them have even tried to prove to us WHY they should become inhumans. Your uncle submitted to us why you should be considered, and everything you've gone through to get here. All three of us are so proud of you and how hard you've worked to get this far, my dear."

"Thank you, that means so much coming from you, of all beings!" I smiled. She smiled back then froze for a second, like a buffering computer.I could hear the musical voice, definitely not Fate's, talking.

"I have to do it now, there's no way he's going to make it if I don't, you better tell him NOW." She growled. Suddenly Fate was back, and her eyes were sad.

"Dante, I need you to brace yourself. You're going to feel a stinging pain any second now."

"Pain?" I asked, confused. The feeling of softness at my neck was wonderful, how could it result in...

then it happened.

Something sharp pierced where soft had been. Fate held me tightly and I groaned in pain, both here and out there.

"Shh, it's okay. It's the only way, but you're going to live. I'm not gonna leave your side, I'll be he first one you see when you come to. it's going to hurt but we're gonna get you through this okay?"

The feeling of lava pouring through my body was awful, and I could hear the sound of other people coming into the room. Jensen's musk hit my nose, and Maxus' voice reached my ears.

"Oh mon Dieu! Dante!" His voice was pure panic, and I could hear Jensen grab and pull him back. His jacket crinkled as he held Maxus' sobbing form.

"Fate...What's happening?" I asked, my legs slowly becoming jell-o. She helped me lay back into the water, kneeling beside me with a worried expression in her eyes.

"Those goons killed you Dante. We had to change you now...I'm sorry...It's going to hurt, it's going to take more time for you to heal, but I'm going to get everything sorted out and they're going to take you and I to someone who will watch over both of us until you're okay again."

"Okay again?"

"I'll explain when the pain is lessened, my child."

I could feel someone's arms scooping me up, and judging by the scent it had to be Jensen. I could feel one of the pieces of glass digging more deeply into my back and into his arm, and a faint 'I've got it' came from that wonderful voice. I felt the piece, along with a few others, slowly slide from me. That pain was nothing compared to the venom coursing through my veins. I heard another pair of footsteps and the sound of Ivan's grunt as Maxus ran to him and began crying in his arms. 

"I'll be back in a moment, I must let them know not to separate us for even a moment or you might end up alone the whole trip." Fate kissed my forehead and suddenly everything felt numb. I relaxed and floated, holding Fate's hand as I heard that voice speak again.

"I know I made the right call, but at what cost? He's not ready, and now..." The voice stopped and I could hear her picking Fate up the same way Jensen had me.

"Dante is much stronger than you think, just as his cousin is. He will be fine once he's done and he gets some rest and food in him." Jensen relied, his voice thick with his accent. He was trying to hold back tears, but I could feel one hit my cheek.

"Fate wants us to keep them together at all costs, she's worried about his mind. He barely understands whats going on. In his weakened state she might not be able to find him again otherwise."

Fate was back almost immediately.

"It's going to be okay. Get some rest, float and nap. I'm here for you. Hopefully the next three moons will go by quickly, and we will meet face to face soon enough." Her hand gently caressed my cheek, and she kissed my forehead once again. I fell into blackness, and into a deep dreamless sleep.