29. The vulnerable in-between

Alec and I lay on my bed, his back against my headboard, and mine flush against his chest. He ran his fingers through my hair, peering over my shoulder as I scrolled through my phone.

"Haha, those two. What's that?" Alec grabbed my phone for a closer look at Sian's Instagram stories. "That's not pizza. Why's it so green and flat? James's face. Have you ever seen someone so terrified of a pizza? Quick, let's order him a takeaway."

"I'd eat it." I prised the device out of his hands and popped it on my bedside table.

"Be honest, you wouldn't." He laughed before kissing the spot right below my ear.

The last couple of weeks with Alec were relaxing. I worked when I could at The Tea Spot with Layla and Margie. My flexible hours allowed me to spend a considerable amount of time with my friends and my boyfriend. Sian, James, Alec, and I even enjoyed a few double dates.

I moved back the same night I reconciled with my mother. It wasn't easy at first. The lack of communication made for an awkward couple of days. But Rosie returned home the same week, and the three of us were learning to open up more. My dad, on the other hand, still lived at Uncle Mike's, but he made more of an effort with my mother.

Tonight, Alec and I had the house to ourselves. My father had asked my mother out on a date as a first step in making amends, and Rosie was out with Daniel.

"Let's go on a date, just the two of us. Somewhere different. How about the open-air cinema on the beach? Chloe mentioned they were showing Dirty Dancing. Fancy it?" Alec resumed combing my hair with his fingers and occasionally kissed my neck.

"I'd love that. Just the two of us." My eyes closed as I relaxed into him.

"How long before your mum gets home?" Alec asked, rolling me onto my stomach so my face was near to his. He pressed his lips against mine and drew me closer.

"Mmm, an hour, maybe two. Depends how dinner goes. Why?" I mumbled against his mouth.

"We should make the most of it. Fancy bumping uglies?" Alec wiggled his eyebrows and laughed. "Too forward? A quick naked cuddle?"

I swatted his chest lightly and straddled his lap. "Why Alec Hart, what would my parents say if they knew you wanted to take advantage of their daughter?"

"I want to do more than take advantage of you."

I yanked my top off before Alec flipped me over so he was hovering over me. "Still too many clothes on." He nestled his face into my neck and whispered an 'I love you' against my skin.

Like each time, I closed my eyes and turned my head to the side. The words sparked every emotion in my body, my butterflies intensified and I felt the words float around my brain and in my heart. Two weeks on and I still hadn't spoken them out loud. Alec's kisses increased, and I gave them back as fiercely. If I couldn't utter those words, perhaps I could show him how I felt.

The moment Alec left mine, I received a text. [Forgot to tell you how beautiful you looked today. I wish you hadn't gone back home so you would be in my bed tonight xx] - ALEC

[Wish I was there now. Miss you already xxxx] I held my phone against my chest for a few seconds after I sent my reply and bounced down the stairs.

My mother sat at the kitchen table, a steaming cup of tea in-between her hands. I poured myself a cup and perched on the seat opposite hers.

"So, how did it go? Did he say much?"

She lowered her eyes to her lap and shook her head. "It was painful. We didn't know how to start and ended up skimming over the subject. He wouldn't acknowledge the argument. Apparently, Uncle Mike wants him gone soon, so we need to sort this out fast."