Chapter 3 - Coffee

Notes: next few chapters might be shorter as I'm thinking of the next topic 🤔 Do let me know if you have suggestions!

==========

I lift my cup of coffee and a whiff of fruity roasted beans aroma fill the air around me.

I'm humming happily, such a nice smell. Smile is forming on my face as I slowly sip the fragrant liquid.

"You are not having tea today." Claude looked at the coffee on my hand while holding his tea.

"It has been a while since I have coffee, so I feel like one this morning. Do you want to try Dad? I sourced the beans myself, this one is my favorite so far." I said proudly.

Claude made a hand gesture that confirm he would try one.

I poured some coffee into an empty cup and offered it to Claude. He put his tea down and reach for the cup I gave.

"It smells lovely Princess. Where did you get them, if I may ask?" Felix chimed in with a curious tone.

"Do you want to try to Felix? I found this in Arlanta when..." When I ran away from home. I shouldn't say that.

"... when I was away." I steal a glance at Claude. Oops, this is not a good topic.

"It's bitter." His eyebrow is furrowed while he is tasting the coffee.

We have never talked about that time I was outside. Claude never really asked about the details either, so maybe he doesn't want to talk about it.

"Seems like you were having fun." He pouted a bit.

'While everyone in the palace were worried sick and running like headless chicken' is what I heard as continuation.

"I-it is an adapted taste. I like it for the smell than the taste, just like the tea." I'm trying to divert the topic.

"Where did you go in Arlanta? It must have been so great that you stayed away for so long." He scoffed. He is in a bad mood.

Ahhh!!! I screamed in my head. Please forgive me!!

"Your Majesty, Princess, I will go and enquire about your breakfast." Hang on, are you running away Felix?

He ran so fast I heard the door closed before I can turn my head. Now I am not sure I am liking this new found tactfulness of yours!

"So?"

I can feel sweat on my back. Ok, sure I will take this head on. I can do it!

"... I went there because they have massive collection of magic book. I am looking for information about memory and magic ...". I said with downcast eyes.

Claude's hand that's holding the cup stopped moving.

"... sure going outside was fun, but I like the palace most since this is where dad is."

Now, are you going to say anything?

"You say that now."

"It's true!! I missed you lots!! I missed you the most!! This much!!" I made excessive gesture with my hands. Take this! My love attack!!

Claude resume sipping his cup of coffee as if saying 'Is that so.'

It's quiet for a bit while we are enjoying our drink. It's not an unpleasant quietness.

Dad's mood seems to be better now.

***
After a while...

"Athanasia."

"Hmm?"

"You can tell me about your time outside the palace."

Oh, was it really obvious that I try not to talk about it?

"Was it unpleasant?"

Didn't you just said I had too much fun?

"It was not always comfortable as I had to move around, but it's all right. I also usually run away in the first sign of troubles."

Claude's eyebrow moved. "'Usually'?"

Oops. Me and my blabbermouth.

"W-well. I did came across thugs several times, but I escaped very quickly. I can use magic remember?" It's in the past, ask no more.

"Where?"

Ahahaha.

You look a bit scary now so I am not telling.

"I don't remember, I went to many places." They might be thugs but they don't deserve to die a horrible death hanging on the city gate.

"Anyway dad, I think breakfast should be ready soon. I'm getting hungry." Change topic, change topic!!

"It has not arrived, we can talk more."

Why are you so persistent today??

"I also want to hear more about the money you use for the trip."

Hukhh!! I spit my coffee out.

I am sorry that I teased you before.

"I remember you mentioned something about magic."

Someone, please help me!!

***