Chapter 8

Note: Continued from the other 2 chapters. I hope the pace is just right and doesn't feel too forced.

----------------

Athanasia is oblivious to the tension.

"Yes, gift. I never got the chance to properly thank you."

She paused a bit, lowered her gaze and bite her bottom lip slightly. It is a sight to behold, yet no one in the room is able to enjoy it.

"What does she need to thank you for." Claude voice is low and scary. [Why did she make that kind of expression.] His grip get tighter.

[How do I know!] Lucas kept a slightly smiling face outside. If anyone is paying a closer look, his eyes is full of disdain.

Athanasia is preparing herself before she turn her gaze back and looking straight to Lucas.

"Thank you for returning Dad's memory."

Claude wavered and his hold on Lucas' shoulder loosened.

"As you said, it is the greatest birthday present."

Claude can't win against his daughter soft smile.

"Tch!" He clicked his tongue.

[If the brat made her happy then he have no choice but to let him go. At least this time.]

The princess brought out a small box.

"This is for you."

Inside the small box is an earing with glittering reddish black stone.

"I know this is no where near as precious as the branch of the World's Tree..." her fingers fidget as she looked to the side.

[It took me a while to have it made. I think it's nice. I will be angry if he said it's ugly.]

"I like it." Lucas quickly took the box as if to prevent anyone from snatching it away.

Athanasia did not say a word, but she showed a delighted expression that left Lucas dazed for a second.

A second that is. He felt the looming black hole behind him, ready to engulf the box on his hand.

...

"Hey. You should get a present for your dad too."

[This one is mine. Back off.]

"For dad?"

"Yes your dad. He would be happy."

[I will help you get one, so stop staring.] There is an intense silent communications between the black haired magician and the blue eyed emperor. This is also Lucas last ditch effort to de-escalate the situation.

Athanasia placed her finger near her cheek and hummed.

"Hrrrrmmmmmm... I don't know what to give him. He is the emperor, he can have anything he wants."

"You can just give him an accessory like this one. It will be special because it's from you."

[He will probably treat it like a national treasure.] Lucas let out his cynicism inwardly.

"Hrrrmmmmmmm......I guess you are right... maybe I will ask black tower grandpa again for the gemstone. Since it's for dad it must be extra special."

Lucas effort paid off. There is an obvious reduction in the heavy atmosphere around Claude.

"Grandpa? The chief?"

"Yes, I asked him for gemstones that suit your magic. This one is the prettiest and match your colour."

Athi looked like she remembered something else and added.

"He probably would try to ask for a drop my blood again. At least now I know he is harmless. It was a bit scary at first." She chuckled.

""..."" (Claude and Lucas)

"... he has been asking for your blood?" Lucas could not hide his irritation.

"You didn't know? That's why dad destroyed half the tower. Doesn't seem like he is giving up asking though, what a weird grandpa."

""That damn old fart!""
Both Lucas and Claude let out a curse under their breath.

Lucas grabbed and munched a few cookies, quickly chugged the tea prepared for him and attached the new earing lightning fast.

"It seems that I have a few things to attend to at the black tower." Lucas stand up readying himself to leave. His moves is in synchrony with the Emperor himself. Their mind has a new destination - Black Tower.

"Lucas?!"

"It's late. Good night Princess. Thank you for the gift." He pointed at his ear.

"Lucas wai..."

He is gone before Athanasia can finished her sentence. The emperor is gone too.

Athanasia is left by herself, confused and annoyed.

[That bastard, he dine and run! At least spend sometime for a conversation!]

The princess punched the pillow several times before she decided to go to sleep.

As she slept peacefully, some explosions and a cry can be heard coming from the black tower.

A few other things happened after.

For a while, etiquette education of the princess emphasised on proper conduct between male and female of marriageable age. Athanasia wondered what triggered Claude overprotective mode.

Lucas workload increased significantly. He still disallowed to use magic for many of them.

The number of surveillance crystals in Black Tower tripled.

Claude ordered for a new, special vault to be made. It sits empty for a while.

In the far future, Claude and Lucas also had a 'proper talk' about what happened tonight and more. But that is story for another day.