Part 10

Midoriya was in a nervous wreck. He took back everything he said last week. They were not making any progress.

Although Yuune did as told, he did exactly that. He ate when he was hungry and drank when he was thirsty but he never spoke unless spoken too. Even then, he would just listen instead of making small talk. He never started a conversation either. If asked a question, he would only answer "yes."

Midoriya was lost.

"Why not make him write what he feels?"

Shoto suggested one day during break time. He was currently fiddling with Yuune's squishy black hand.

"Maybe it is harder for him to say it so why not have him write? We can also do an exchange diary."

Midoriya nodded in understanding. It was not a bad idea at all. Maybe that would bring Yuune to open up more.

So Midoriya prepared a diary for Yuune. He had passed it Yuune after school.

"Kooni-kun, this is an exchange diary. It is usually done between two people and they write about their day and their feelings on it but we will be doing it differently."

Yuune indifferently stared at the diary before looking back up at the awkward but shy smile that Midoriya presented.

"You will spend two days with each classmate. In the first day, you will write about the day, what you felt or what you thought. The next day you will give this diary to the person you will spent your day with and keep spending your day with them. The day after that, they will give you a reply first thing in the morning. You can read what they wrote when you get home or somewhere else. After you read it, be it the next day or that same day, you will have to choose the next person to spend two days. And then it's a repeat. Okay?"

"Yes, Midoriya."

Midoriya smiled as if satisfied as he settled with watching Yuune flip the blank pages of the diary.

"Since you spent a week with me, let's start with me."

"Yes, Midoriya."

The freckled teen could not wait for tomorrow.

***

The next day after school, Yuune had handed Midoriya the diary. The teen in charge of the awkward Yuune hurried his way home. He was excited to read what the other wrote.

"Welcome home, Izuku. Do you want some snacks?"

"I'm home, mom. I'll be doing my homework while I wait for dinner."

Midoriya answered as he made his way to his bed room.

"Make sure to wash your hands, okay?"

The greenette quickly made a U-turn to the bathroom as he got reminded. He quickly washed his hands before striding to his room.

After closing the door, he took a seat and pulled out the notebook made into a diary. His hand nervously shook as he opened the diary.

There was the date and what the weather was like. After that...

Midoriya turned the page to see if he was wrong but after checking the next few pages, Midoriya couldn't help but to smile even though his heart felt sour.

On the page, a dark green leaf was pasted with tape. There were no words but only a leaf. It was almost as if it was carefully taped there. The leaf had no holes nor was it crushed. It seemed like Yuune had picked the prettiest leaf he could find and wanted to show Midoriya because the color reminded Yuune of the freckled teen's hair.

Yuune was awkward speaking but Midoriya realized that Yuune was just awkward with words overall. Even without words, Yuune's thoughts and feelings were so raw.

So Midoriya wrote on the next page.

In the next day, Midoriya gave Yuune the notebook but Yuune did not find it necessary to read it at that moment. He followed Midoriya around and listened, ate, drank, and attended classes. He had to seat out the practical classes but he was put to watch the others fight and learn how his fellow classmates moved.

After school, he spent an hour with Midoriya who was talking about how amazing the quirks were and his classmates' strategy when using them. He also hoped to see Yuune in action. Yuune did not understand. All he did with his quirk was hurt people.

After that we went home with Nezu. The masked adult, Haru-san, welcomed Yuune home but Yuune just nodded and went straight to his room. Haru-san cried but Yuune did not spare a glance and holed himself in his room. He flopped onto his bed.

He was tired. He had not done anything but Yuune was exhausted. He just wanted to sleep. There were too many people that talked in school. It was loud. They laughed and yelled and joked. Yuune did not understand why he was in the middle of it all. He hurt people. He damaged people.

'Read...'

He picked himself up and reached for the notebook in his bag. After pulling it out, he opened it without much thought.

[Today, we had our hero class. We got to wear our hero costumes and paired with someone to work with to go against the other team. I went against Kachan. He is my childhood friend and he is amazing. He is strong and tactical. We used to be good friends but at one point we drifted apart. I hope that one day we are able to be good friends again.

I felt kind of sad that Kooni-kun could not join but I understood why he couldn't. I hope that Kooni-kun gets better soon so he can see that amount of beautiful things in this whole world just like he found the leaf beautiful in his own world.

When he gets better, I hope he is able to smile and laugh along with all of us.]

Yuune stared blankly at the paper.

"Smile and laugh."

Barely whispering, he traced those words with his fingers. Those two words were a curse.