Earth

If I were to describe my time on earth—it was completely ordinary. I had no parents and had been raised in foster care my whole life. Luckily by the age of seven, I was lucky enough to get foster parents that I was fortunate enough to call mum and dad. Their devotion to me brought me out of my rebellious phase and back onto the good moral path.
As parents, they always pushed me to do my best, and loved me despite the results I got—even if they were bad. My mum was a librarian, so every time after school I was fortunate enough to walk to the library every day and read books until she finished work.
I knew their love was genuine, especially considering they could have no kids of their own.
It was at the library I developed my love for reading. I became an avid reader, and my love for a certain genre then expanded to anything and everything I could get my hands on. Yet, romance and fantasy always held a special place in my heart. Romance was something completely foreign to me, and before my parents I had no idea what love was.
Fantasy was my escape. Up until the age of seven, when things became bad in foster care, I would often run away in my mind, to worlds beyond. Worlds of magic and folk lore.
Over the years as I moved from school and into adulthood, I became more realistic. Although I loved books, I decided to pursue a career in pharmacy and the creation of medicine, leaving reading as a hobby on the side.
With hard work and a lot of tears, I finally entered my fourth and final year of university. Despite the academic hardship with all the study, I had been fortunate enough to be interviewed at a prestigious hospital.
It was only when I got the phone call saying that I had been accepted for the job that I almost screamed.
In the hustle and bustle of the city, I found myself almost skipping with joy. How was this even possible?
Was it luck? Or the work of something greater? Celebrations like this meant chicken for dinner!
With a spring in my step, I strode out onto the cross walk without a second thought.
It was only when I heard the sudden screeching of tyres that everything faded around me.
In less than a few seconds, I somehow managed to take in everything around me. The people across the street, looking at me in shock, with others reaching out as if they could somehow pull me away. The truck, inches away and horn blaring—yet for some reason I couldn't hear a sound.
It was too late.
Perhaps luck wasn't on my side.
The next thing I remembered, I was lying on the ground, my body going colder with each passing second. Around me, I heard people screaming, with a man shouting. "Call 000!"
There was slight pressure being applied to my neck. Was he checking for my pulse? I couldn't tell.
I was numb.
"Oh god. You're alive." He whispered. "Stay still, the ambulance is on its way."
"Look at all the blood! Someone do something!" I heard someone else say. After that, the voices all became muffled.
All I could see was the sky, with it going darker with every minute. Was the sun setting?
Briefly, someone entered my vision. It was too blurry to make out who it was.
"Stay awake!" He said, his face near mine. "I need you to stay awake, you hear me?!"
Why? I was tired.
Was this how it ended? Was fate really this cruel?
My world continued to darken, and one final thought entered my mind:
I forgot to tell mum I got the job.
Then I was welcomed by the darkness.