Rainy Day

I gripped the blankets on the edge of my bed, overcome with a sudden sense of déjà vu. After finally being transferred to a proper bed, rather than that insipid cot that Lettie had been adamant about me remaining in, I was finally able to experience getting up by myself for the first time in the morning. I didn't even need someone to lift me over those ridiculously high bars that had been for my 'safety'.
It had been weeks since I'd last spoken to Castiel. The new bed was now the only remotely interesting thing happening in my life right now.
It was sad, really.
Now, I sat on the edge of the bed and rather than my feet touching the floor, they instead dangled precariously high. In fact, it felt that if I chose to drop down from here, I would shatter my ankles.
My heartbeat quickened.
I shook my head, trying to allay my fear.
Being a kid really put a whole new perspective on things. Tasks that would normally be easy as an adult, had now become an impossible hurdle for me.
I rubbed my arm unconsciously. Then after I realised what I was doing, I glanced at my arm in curiosity. Was I bruised? Why had I rubbed my arm as if remembering some phantom bruising?
With a shrug, I turned back to the real threat before me. After a few minutes, I eyed my blankets with distrust before finally turning onto my belly and slowly inched myself backwards. Gripping the sheets as an anchor, I slowly tried to shimmy down. With my legs spreadeagled and my hair a complete mess, I could feel my arms begin to tremble in exhaustion. I was about to inch myself down further, before I suddenly felt the sheets give way and I fell straight to the ground.
The sudden impact with my back on the carpet forced all the air out of my lungs. Pain erupted in my chest and I was then launched into a coughing fit.
Absolute trash. I glared at the bed in betrayal.
After the few minutes it took for me to regain my breath again, I quickly examined my ankles.
Not shattered.
I let out a sigh of relief.
Grimly, I stared back up at the bed and came to the dark realisation that my days of dependence on Lettie to get me out of bed were not yet over.
On the floor, I quickly rolled to my side and sprung to my feet. Although the night gown I was forced to wear was light, it was also really long, which inevitably meant a tripping hazard every time I tried to stand up.
Stumbling forward a bit, I quickly regained my balance and held onto the side of the bed for support. My night gown billowed around me, its material gliding over my skin as if it were no more than air itself. Just how much did a gown like this cost? And from what I'd gathered, Lettie apparently hadn't been too happy with what they'd given her to dress me with either—almost as if it were not luxurious enough.
How ridiculous.
Seriously, who did I have to impress while sleeping?
Judging by the meagre amounts of light coming through the window, it must've still be quite early. Although there had been a few nights when I had woken early due to some form of stress about my dark fate, whenever I was relaxed—like now—I normally found my body sleeping in.
When I walked over to the balcony doors and looked out through the glass window panes I frowned. "Ah."
It was a storm.
I had been wrong. It wasn't early at all, I had gotten up at the proper time. Rather—dark clouds that looked pregnant with rain blocked out all the sun, casting a dark shadow over everything. There was a breeze blowing through the trees and when I pushed the doors open to let in the air—it gushed in, forcing the doors to slam open. Yet the air wasn't fresh.
It was humid.
Looking up, it appeared as if the clouds would give birth to a watery demon at any moment. I also noticed that it was strangely quiet, as if the animals themselves were also preparing for the worst and taking shelter. It was annoying that I couldn't check the weather forecast in this world to see if/when it would rain, as well as how long it would last for. I would just have to wait and see for myself.
As the thought crossed my mind, I felt something cold and wet splatter on my right cheek.
After a few minutes, the marble on the balcony floor started to become dotted in drops of water as a light sprinkle began to wash down from the heavens. All that could be heard around me was the sound of rain tapping on the roof, the marble, the window panes, the leaves of the trees and everything else.
It was mesmerising.
The smell that accompanied the rain was just as entrancing. In this world, it was a different scent to that I was familiar with on earth. The rain brought with it the scent of the garden and mysterious flowers that were within it. There was no air pollution.
It was pure.
Taking a deep breath, I stood there for a moments with my eyes closed.
That was when I felt the tingle on the nape of my neck.
Someone was watching me.
I could feel it. I don't know how I knew—but I knew. It was like my energy field was reacting to something.
Carefully, I tried to appear nonchalant as I slowly opened my eyes and kept my head in the same position. While doing so, I surveyed my surroundings, trying to pinpoint where this feeling was coming from.
There. A figure.
They were secluded under the shade of a tree not too far away. The shade completely obscured their figure so I couldn't even guess who it was.
The tingling sensation on my neck then spread to my extremities. Pin and needles were beginning to form on my fingertips as I ran through scenarios in my head. How was I meant to act now? Did I show them I could see them? Or would that make things worse?
Just as I was thinking these things, the sprinkle of rain turned into a pour and I was immediately drenched.
There was no longer the pitter patter of rain—but a roar as it pounded onto the earth.
Suddenly there was a gasp behind me and I whipped around as Lettie rushed to me. She quickly grabbed my arm and pulled me inside. "Miss Edythe you are positively soaking! Just what were you thinking standing out there?"
My blood was as cold as my skin. "I don't know." I mumbled. "It caught me by surprise."
"Well I was certainly surprised to see you just standing there! If you wanted a shower you could have just asked."
Just what did she take me for?
After I was cleaned up and looking fresh again, Lettie paused to look outside. She gave a sad smile. "Looks like we won't be having our picnic outside today miss, not in today's weather."
I stood beside her, looking out into the pouring rain. A shiver ran up my spine when I thought about the figure under the tree. Perhaps it was best not to go outside today.
Lettie suddenly clapped her hands together. "I know! How about the library? We could also do some puzzles, hmm?"
Blech. I hated puzzles.
"Yes please!" I gave her my best smile. What else was there to do anyway? I wasn't allowed to leave the east wing. There wasn't much to do. Outside was my only real escape.
Lettie then led the way while I toddled behind her. Along with the promotion of the bed, it had also coming with my own walking rights. The servants now seemed more inclined to wait for me as I walked considering it was no longer at a painstaking slow pace. I was somewhat speedy now.
In the library, I was met with the familiar smell of leather and paper. It was beautiful. At the centre, there was no longer a bright light being cast down from the sky light. Now, it was more of a murky haze from what could penetrate the clouds and glass.
It was just what you would expect on a day like this. The sound of the pouring rain was also more muffled in here. Considering there was also nothing else to do, we ended up spending a few hours here. There were a few menial conversations here and there, but after a polite request, Lettie agreed to get me some paper and pencils so I could draw.
It was a lot harder than I initially thought. At first I thought it would be akin to writing after spending months without.
But no.
I was literally having to teach my muscles the fine motor control all over again. It was extremely frustrating, especially considering my drawings actually looked like a child's.
At first, I had just practised shapes and outlines before I finally attempted to draw a person.
Myself.
There was black hair, red eyes, and rather than attempting the huge task of a dress, I gave myself more blockish clothing considering that was all these hands could handle.
I could feel Lettie peer over my shoulder. "How cute miss Edythe! You are drawing your father!"
I was aghast.
Who in their right mind would willing draw the source of all their problems? I was literally trapped in this prison because of him. What would make her think I felt anything but hate towards this man?
I was about to protest vehemently when there was a knock on the library doors that came from the west entrance.
After a brief pause, the doors opened and Lettie rose up and walked forward to meet them halfway. It was a knight.
Tirack.
My stomach churned.
They then exchanged a conversation that I could not overhear.
I was going to ignore the interruption if not for Lettie coming over, taking the sheet of paper right off me and taking my hand to pull me up without my consent.
"Come on Miss Edythe." Her face wasn't as bright as before. It was now replaced with trepidation. "You have been summoned."
Summoned?
My mind was blank.
Lettie turned around to take me through the west side. There was no time for questioning as she walked me through the doors and down some more corridors until we were out on terrace on the ground floor. As we were technically outside, I noticed how the air had become more chilly with the constant roaring rain. With purpose, Lettie continued to walk down towards the centre half of the mansion until we hit the boundary line.
I instinctively resisted.
I was never allowed to go further than here. Beyond this area was the centre. Beyond this area we were no longer in the east wing.
That was a big deal.
I didn't want to die.
I ripped my hand from Lettie's and she turned around and noticed the fear in my face.
I would be killed if I went further.
Lettie knelt down in front of me and smiled sadly. "It's okay Miss Edythe."
Without another word, she gently picked me up and continued our walk beyond the boundary. I could feel the tension build up in my body all the while my mind spinning with the same words that went around and around in my head.
I'm not meant to be here. I'm not meant to be here. I'mnotmeanttobehere.
Let patted my back reassuringly as she walked through the unfamiliar territory that was the centre mansion.
Although it was still only the outside, the caliber was of a completely different scale. There was no traces of any cracks in any paint or stone, the paint all looked fresh and the metal ornaments freshly waxed. The east wing looked like a derelict of the past compared to this place.
After a few minutes, Lettie stopped before a structure that had a stone path running from the outdoor terrace all the way to the this monstrosity.
My jaw would have dropped if I hadn't been so tense to begin with.
It was made completely of glass.
It was a greenhouse.
A giant.
Freaking.
Greenhouse.
I was going to stare for longer had I not noticed the figure waiting for us by the stone path.
Tirack.
As we approached him, Lettie walked without hesitation straight into the rain as Tirack said a few words that I was sure were not English. They sounded ancient
I instinctively flinched, ready to be soaking again.
Nothing happened.
Curious, I opened my eyes as Lettie continued to walk without cover in the open rain without a single drop falling on us. When I glanced at Tirack, he gave me a smile which caught me off guard.
Looking up, it appeared as if the rain drops were hitting some invisible barrier. I was entranced.
In a few brief moments, Tirack opened the door for Lettie as she walked inside. I was expecting her to continue walking, but we stopped suddenly and Lettie placed me down on the floor. Kneeling down, she picked at some invisible lint on my already pristine dress. "You'll be fine miss. Consider this a great opportunity." Her voice didn't seem to be filled with the same vigour it normally was.
"Opportunity?" I repeated. How was this an opportunity?
She nodded. "It's okay, I'll be outside. I'm not going anywhere. All you have to do is follow the path until the end, okay?"
I didn't like the sound of this.
Not one bit.
"I don't want to go."
After the words had left my mouth, it suddenly felt as if was body was riddled with static electricity.
Lettie became rigid and her head tilted slightly as if she were hearing a voice that I could not. Then she turned back to me again. "It will be okay. Once you've talked, you'll see me again. Remember, I'll be outside."
Talked?
With who?
The sudden realisation dawned on me and I felt the blood drain from my face. I remained lifeless as Lettie turned me around to face the indoor jungle while also giving me a gentle push forward.
It was when I heard the sound of the door closing behind me that I knew I was on my own. It was in this indoor jungle that my survival instincts ramped up to a whole new level.
Here, within this jungle, there was a predator.
And I was the prey.