New Body

In the east wing, the further we walked, the less impressive it became. Of course, there were still polished gold and silver ornaments, with fine tapestry's hung on the walls, depicting wars of this world unknown to me. In fact, I knew very little of this world's history.
In the novel, although it went into current political turmoil, it shed very minimal light about Clove Kingdom's history. I knew of only one major war that won this country's independence and of some of the previous Emperor's lineage. Yet that was it.
After we reached my room, the butler handed me over to a maid with gorgeous amber eyes and chestnut brown hair.
She had a kind smile.
I liked her already.
When I was taken by "Leticia" - as the butler called her—he gave her one simple instruction. "M'lord has restricted miss Edythe to the east wing, see to it that she does not stray. That is all."
After that, he swiftly left the room with the grace of a cat.
The moment the door closed, some maids burst out of another hidden door from the other side of the room.
"She's here!" One of them gushed.
Before I knew it, I was surrounded.
"How gorgeous! Look at her eyes! She is definitely a De Villanova!"
Surprised that they were talking about my eyes without contempt, I suddenly noticed the skin of one of the maids. It was silvery and reflected the light, with indentations that made it appear as if she had scales...
The maid caught me staring and laughed. "Look! So curious already! I can tell she will be clever."
"Well." Another girl chimed in. "If she is anything like the master, of course she will."
"Lettie!" One of the girls said, addressing the maid holding me—which I assume must have been her nickname. "How old is she?"
They became silent.
"Well." Lettie said, her hands gripping me tighter. "After receiving my orientation on taking care of the miss, I think she is only two years old."
There was more cooing.
I was beginning to be overwhelmed. Not only were there so many people surrounding me, but I was beginning to believe not all of them were entirely human.
After another minute, a male manservant came in and ushered them out. "Come on ladies, Maurice is calling us."
There was a collective groan before they said goodbye to me (without expecting a reply) and Lettie.
When they finally left, Lettie looked at my clothes and skin and clicked her tongue. "I will see to it that there is not an inch of dirt on you while you are in my care." Then she immediately took me to an adjacent bathroom.
Although bathroom didn't seem quite apt.
It was more like a bathing house.
It was huge.
The bath itself I could have done laps in. Yet, I was uncertain at the true vastness of it all. My small body and perspective seemed to add an extra filter of greatness to everything. Yet, when I compared the maid to the bathroom, it still looked ridiculously large.
Again, I was left shaken over how strange it was to be in an infant's body.
The tiles gleamed and there was already water in the bath, as if they had been awaiting my arrival. I thought I also smelt the distinct scent of lavender, although I didn't know if this world had it.
The maid chuckled, almost to herself. "I'm so glad the master spared you. We all feared that he would take your life." She then held me out in front of her in both arms. "But he didn't!"
During the bath she continued to speak, almost to herself. "Yet, you will probably never see him again."
Really? Did that mean I had a chance at escaping?
She continued. "Which is for the best." Her eyes became determined. "I fear the master will not be so lenient if he sees you for a second time."
Her eyes then became sorrowful.
At least she knew of my positively dismal circumstances.
It was strange though, that they treated me so kindly. In truth, I had expected them to completely ignore me like Kael.
It still felt too strange to regard him as father.
My father.
I shook off the thought.
After I was bathed, Lettie had me dressed in fine silk and something although Lettie called "hardly worthy of De Villanova blood" I myself thought was beyond extravagant.
There were frills in almost every place. I was sure if I was too look at myself in a mirror, I would look like some fake china doll.
"Look Miss Edythe!"
She propped me up on the floor before a large mirror bigger than Lettie herself.
Speak of the devil.
For the first time since my arrival in this world, I saw myself for what everyone else saw me.
Before me, was nothing but a child.
It had bright, round eyes that shone red. I was shocked at how much they were a direct replica of Kael's.
As red as blood.
The child had pale skin, like a doll's, with dark black hair.
Pitch-black.
The spitting image of Kael.
I didn't know who the mother was meant to be, but I knew this child looked nothing like her.
It was practically a female version of Kael.
Minus the sneer and arctic cold stare.
Stranger still, that was me.
When I raised my hand, the child in the reflection did the same.
I was struck with a strange sense of déjà vu.
Before I had more time to ogle at myself, Lettie clapped her hands together excitedly.
"First things first Miss Edythe. How about a picnic?"
Was I meant to say yes?
All I could manage was an infuriating gurgle. I would have to focus on training my muscles for speaking at night. Night was safer if I didn't want to arouse suspicion.
How else was I meant to practise my vowels?
Annoyed at my helplessness, I could only wait for Lettie to pick me up and take me outside herself.
Being the east wing, we did not run into many other servants. I was secluded here.
Alone.
Just the way I wanted it.
If I was to run away, I would need to garner the trust of every servant in the east wing. That meant coddling them and being extra nice. Back on earth, I wasn't an extra nice person.
But if I wanted to change my fate here, I would have to learn to.
I also would need money.
Seeing as there was no cash just lying around here, that meant there was only one thing I could do. I would need to collect valuables, but if I did it too quickly they might catch on it was me.
Meaning, I would have to do it over a few years.
I knew that it would take time.
But I would do it nevertheless. I would do anything to avoid death again. Especially if I didn't want to die at the hands of Kael.
The bastard.
Honestly, who would kill their own daughter?
Yes, granted, she was the villainess. Yes, she did taunt, bully and attack the protagonist Eleanor. But Kael was just as bad—worse, even. Perhaps he needed to be worse in order to kill his own flesh and blood.
There was no point in me trying to get close to him, especially considering one wrong move could end me up on death row sooner rather than later.
The idea of having to wait was frustrating, but there was nothing I could do as an infant.
If I wanted my escape to be a success, I would need to be around thirteen. Old enough to disguise myself as a young boy and take on cheap labour. Old enough to pay for certain amenities and not be questioned for it.
Considering the point of view of the original novel, that meant I would also have to study the current laws of this country, as well as the markets and overall economy of the Clove Empire.
More study.
But if that was all it would take so I could live and then spend the rest of my life as a free woman, away from Eleanor and the stupid plot of this story, I would do it.
Luckily, Kael had one of the largest libraries in the empire. My resources were rich and I was in the perfect position to arm myself with all the knowledge I needed.
All I had to do was wait.