Prologue

The floor beneath her feet creaked as she landed a particularly lengthy jump. Her hair was a frizzy mess down her back, falling from the black elastic she had once tied it up in. Her body was practically vibrating with anger as she tried so desperately to rid the thought of a hundred kids her age being sent to the ground. A hundred teenagers, all thought of as expendable by her father and Thelonious Jaha.

She sipped on a glass of water slowly, waiting for her vision to stop blurring as she stared at the approaching figure of Abigail Griffin; a doctor on the ark who had become particularly close with the young girl due to her position on the council.

Abby's hair was tied up nearly, her scrubs a simple black tee-shirt and jeans. The ark didn't provide for a vas selection of wardrobe styles; the resources dwindling over the last ninety-seven years. So, instead, the upperclassman got first dibs on recycled clothing and everything that was left slowly made its way down the food chain. It was a messed up system, but it was the only way they knew how to survive amongst the stars.

"Have you seen your father?" Abby asked, her time frantic as she looked around as if expecting the acting chancellor to suddenly appear from thin air.

Olivia shook her head, an expression of pure irritation filling within her eyes as her shoulders hunched and the empty water bottle found a home on the floor after being tossed aside in spite. She couldn't even begin to comprehend why he thought it was okay to send a hundred unarmed teenagers down to there death all

to preserve a month's worth of oxygen.

Abby nodded, picking up on the silent hint that Olivia didn't want to discuss Marcus or anything even remotely relating to the hundred kids currently falling through the atmosphere.

"Why is this what we allowed ourselves to become?" Olivia questioned sadly, catching Abby's attention just as she was about to turn away and exit the small exercise room. "Why did you let my father take away Jake's choice?"

Abby's face fell at the mention of her late husband, a man who only wanted to do good by the people stuck up in space with no hope of ever getting back down to the ground. "Jake's plan would have caused mayhem, Olivia."

"But it would have allowed for choice, and for a chance." Olivia tearfully spoke, stepping closer to Abby despite her overwhelming want to be alone. She wanted somebody to listen more so. "Tyler Stone, Henry Fawn, Harper McIntyre, Octavia Blake, they're all being sent to there deaths because my father, Thelonious, you, thought the truth was too dangerous."

"Olivia, it wasn't that simple." Abby shook her head, lovingly laying her hands on the child's trembling shoulders. Regret swam in Abby's eyes, tinting the chocolatey color a sweet hazel.

"But it could have been." She whispered, falling into Abby's open arms. "They're just kids, Abby."

Abby couldn't say anything else to ease Olivia's panicking, knowing that the girl was right and that they had just totally screwed up. However, what's done was done, the kids were already on the ground, and now, it was just a matter of who would be the first to die. The ark, or the hundred?