xvii

The morning sun beamed elegantly upon the crown of the camp, it's unbloodied beauty washing away the last remnants of what had once been a terrible nightmare. Olivia had woken mere minutes after she had fallen asleep, deciding that once again sleep would have to wait a while longer. Leaving Bellamy behind to catch up on sleep, the former cadet drifted towards the dropship where Clarke often spent her time. Her arms yearned for the touch of another, yet her mind was a mess of longed for solitary. Her body burned from the indecisive ache of what to do next, her fists clenching and uncoiling in an attempt to release the pent up unknown.

Olivia sighed noticeably, her eyes drifting between the many faces in the dropship until she spotted Clarke. The blonde was hunched over, angrily expressing her distaste for the situation at hand. Laid helplessly at her feet was a bloodied boy, his brown hair matted down with blood and dirt. His eyes, the perfect shade of honey brown and charcoal, were aged so tenderly at the expense of inhumane torture. At the sight of him, all the anger and sorrow fled from Olivia's fingertips. Her mind was clouded with the guilt of taking for granted what she had. She had warm arms to run to every night, she had a relatively safe place to spend the brutally cold and terrifying nights. This boy clearly hadn't had the same.

Stepping closer to the fragile boy, Olivia tenderly laid her hand on his arm with care not expecting his body to flinch or for his eyes to shoot up to meet hers. But they did, and his eyes, that perfect shade of love and mischief, looked shattered. All hope had been crushed and replaced with a nasty will of survival. Clarke watches warily as Olivia got so close, unaware what the bloodied boy before them had been capable of mere weeks ago.

"Olivia, don't touch him." Clarke had tried to warn, though the girl was already caressing Murphy's brow, trying to clean the dirt from his face as if he deserved the tender treatment. She was blissfully unaware of the murderous tendencies the boy liked to indulge, especially when it came to little girls and Alpha brats.

"He's hurt, Clarke." The girl was shocked by Clarke's hostility, though her confusion amplified when Bellamy stormed into the dropship. His gun was drawn, ready and waiting by his side, and his beautiful chocolate eyes scanned Murphy and Olivia's close proximity dangerously.

"Did he do something to you?" Bellamy questioned with anger, his eyes darkening to a shade of black Olivia had never seen before, and she wasn't sure she wanted to again. Her gut clenched in fear, stepping away from Murphy with the sickly feeling that something wasn't right about the sickly boy. "What the hell is this?"

Clarke looked broken as her eyes met Olivia's then danced back to Bellamy with dread that made them both queasy, "Biological warfare. You were waiting for the grounders to retaliate for the bridge, this is it. Murphy's the weapon."

Olivia's brow creased, "John Murphy?" She questioned, her heart heavy in her chest as she thought back to the dreadful case of Alex Murphy, a man sentenced to death for trying to cure his sick son.

"Not now, Bambi." Bellamy shook his head, his eyes softening for a moment when they met Olivia's. Her face was drawn tight with emotions so painful even Bellamy's stomach felt heavy with unease. The former guard wanted nothing more than to pull Olivia close, and remind her that with time everything would be okay, but he couldn't. He wouldn't give Murphy leverage.

Despite her clear hostility, Clarke moved forward to continue dressing Murphy's wounds, her touches light despite her clear aggravation. Olivia had begun to help her as well, ignoring Bellamy's plea to just leave him be.

"Is this your revenge?" Bellamy demanded the grip on his gun growing tighter, fingertips dancing over her trigger without intention, "Helping the grounders kill us?"

"I didn't know about this, ok, I swear." John pleaded though it was clear Bellamy didn't hear his words over the racing of his own blood.

"Stop lying!" His voice startled Olivia, her eyes pinching shut at the unwelcomed memories of the past. "When are they coming?"

"Murphy, think, alright? What can you tell us that's useful?" Clarke pressed, her tone less invasive then Bellamy's had been. "Did you hear anything?" The urgency in Clarke's voice was chilling, adding to the anxiety that was beginning to bite at Olivia.

"They are vicious, cruel." Murphy admitted, his teeth clenched in dread at reliving the experience.

"You want to see vicious?" Bellamy growled, his anger sending Olivia down a spiral of paralyzing memories. The world was growing dark around her, trapping her within a vortex of horrifying sounds.

The cold metal of the floor of the ark sent shivers down her spine as she stumbled away from Murphy, her eyes pinched shut in an attempt to block the image of Michael Hayes pinning her down. Her senses were dissolving around her, trapping her within a moment with a man with the potential to be as cruel as Murphy thought the grounders to be. Her skin burned, though somehow through her hysteria Olivia managed to find her way outside, the wind breaking against her face and shattering the image of her assault as if it were porcelain.

"Olivia," a voice called out from the center of the storm, unfocused and far away as the girl fought to maintain a steady breath. Her worlds had meshed, creating a portrait of beautifully aligned stars and murderous memories among them. "Ollie, hey, look at me."

Bellamy tilted Olivia's chin, his chocolate eyes sweet beneath the leaves as he pleaded for her attention. His palms were sweaty against the apples of her porcelain cheeks, her skin cold to the touch despite her usual warmth and cheery-red flush.

"I can't breathe." Olivia chocked, jerking away from Bellamy's touch. A cold sweat had broken across her forehead, though before the former guardsman could pull Olivia back to his chest and promise her everything would work itself out, tears of red streamed down her cheeks. "Bell, I can't breathe."

Looking at Olivia beneath the sunlight was like setting his eyes on her for the first time all those weeks ago. Bloody and scared, the girl had become a rambling mess, though this time her words were incoherent as she internalized the argument. "Ollie, hey. I need you to listen to me, alright." Bellamy began, fighting the urge to grab her hands, he couldn't risk getting sick at this moment. He couldn't end up being weak when Olivia needed him to be strong. He couldn't be weak when John Murphy was lurking.

"I can't breathe." The girl repeated through tears, though her heavy heaving was beginning to slow as Bellamy's voice broke through the battlefield of memories on her mind. The ground had been scary since the moment she and Raven had landed, though her past was scarier and didn't seem to care for the unmeasurable space she had put between them. The pain would always find her, just like it always had before. "Bell, I'm scared."

"Ollie, you're safe. Nobody's going to hurt you, I won't let them. I know things have been hard lately, but you can't give up now." Bellamy pleaded, just wanting to hold his girl close as she continued to tremble. "Olivia, I..." Bellamy breathed deeply, his chin trembling as he looked the girl over.

Her beautiful green eyes were pinched shut, and the tip of her nose was scrunched up in distaste. Her freckle dusted cheeks were painted red by streams of bloody tears, and yet she was still beautiful, and not being able to touch her only reminded Bellamy of how lucky he was to have gotten to know her.

"I love you, but I need you to get inside. It's cold, and you're sick." Bellamy couldn't just stand by anymore, his fingertips burning at the restraint of keeping to himself. Pulling the sleeve of his jacket over his hand, he wiped away the blood before letting the fabric fall as the pad of his thumb swept against Olivia's cheek. His girl sniffled, shuffling closer to his provided warmth and burying herself in it. It was a situation the two had been infrequently, yet as Bellamy didn't stiffen, something new had become of this murderous situation.

Bellamy Blake wasn't hiding who he was anymore, at least not hiding from Olivia and her beautiful green eyes.

----
I hate this chapter so much, but let me know what you think. voting and commenting is always appreciated