i

Olivia Kane had never been one to deliberately disobey the rules, especially not rules set in place by her father, Marcus Kane. However, as the girl thought back to the hundred kids who had been sent down to earth, she wondered just how far her submission would run before she began to follow orders brainlessly. How much longer would it take before her own freewill was completely destroyed by a lifetime of not asking the right questions?

She looked up to Abigail Griffin, her stomach churning in guilt as the two awaited the arrival of Raven Reyes in absolute silence. The tension was thick enough to be cut, yet neither women was ready to back down to there opinion of what was right; not this time at least. Abby's silence had already lost her a husband, she couldn't sit by idly without knowing if she had a way to help her daughter survive.

"Did someone call for a mechanic?" Raven asked, her voice breaking through the speaker. Her body was pressed up against the sterling door, the cold metal chilling her body right before she pulled away to give the opener personal space. "You're the one who called in the work order?"

"We need to talk." Abby exclaimed, her voice dry of any emotion that could give Raven an indication as to why she had been called down.

Raven sighed, stepping into the space with hesitation clear in her posture. Olivia frowned at the sight, hardly wanting to start off this project with one of there partners feeling as though they had to tread in cold water.

"Look, I told you, I'm not gonna say anything, okay?" Raven defended, her tone raising an octave as she looked at Abby, having not noticed the Kane sitting timidly in the corner.

"And I believe you. Look, you're not in trouble." Abby promised, seeing the fear circulating around the teenagers chocolate eyes.

Life on the Ark inflicted pain on even the simplest of souls. A simple misstep and your life was taken, a crime so small punishable by death at the hands of men who never knew the true suffering of living on the edge. Olivia frowned as she looked up towards Raven, the mechanic finally taking a notice to her shy presence in the room.

"Not in trouble yet, you mean." Raven sighed, though confusion was etched prominently across her features. She set her toolbox down, instead focusing her attention on what could possibly be needed from her particular skill set. "This levels off limits for people like me."

Olivia stiffened at the words that flowed from Raven's lips so easily. It was a lifestyle they'd grown accustomed to living - a life where the privileged were entitled to more oxygen, better food, cleaner clothes. The simple idea of equality didn't exists in a sense where social classes were forgotten. On the Ark, the color of your skin or your sexual orientation may not matter, but the money you make and the jobs you were rely so heavily on your families history. A tradition and command economy that was proving to be as ineffective as a market economy.

"Not anymore." Abby replied to the younger girl, her tone dampened by the truth of the Ark. She had shamefully lived with a bag over her eyes for too long. "You know why we sent the hundred down to the ground. What you don't know is why...The Ark is dying, Raven. Life support is on its last legs. I have ten days to prove that earth is survivable or they're gonna start reducing population. 320 innocent people will be killed."

"What?" Olivia gasped, rising to her feet and approaching both Abby and Raven, her eyes wide at the news of yet another culling. She'd read about one in her history books, though she'd naively hoped they'd never have to execute another mass murder of there own people.

"I don't get it." Raven shrugged her shoulders, hardly feeling like she should be standing in the same room as Abigail and Olivia. "Why are you telling me this?"

"I looked up your file. You're the youngest zero g mechanic on the Ark in the last fifty years." Abby informed the young girl, her smile proud as though Raven was her own child.

Olivia noticed often that Abby often tended to her as if she was her own child. She was tender and caring, never overstepping boundaries, but always making it apparent that she cared and that she would listen if it were ever desired. Olivia had always figured it was guilt for being the doctor who watched Elliott Greyson die, but seeing her with Raven, Olivia began to question Abby's true motives.

"Fifty-Two." Raven muttered beneath her breath, clearly holding her accomplishment close to her heart.

Olivia smiled slightly at Raven's shameless gloating, reveling in the utter happiness that Raven emitted at the mention mechanics. Her unfiltered happiness was unlike the majority of the privileged kids who shrugged there shoulders at education, and instead turned there noses towards money and whatever other materialistic value they could get their hands on.

Abby only smiled at Raven's words, turning around to look at both anxious girls. Olivia had been just as clueless as Raven had been. Abby grasped onto a gray tarp, pulling it away to reveal a broken down pod that had been long since forgotten.

"You have nine days to get this ready so I can survive a drop." Abby instructed, her words rendering Olivia breathless as she stared at the councilman with curiosity and respect.

Abigail Griffin wouldn't allow herself to be silence anymore.

Raven didn't back down from the challenge however, just approached the ship with a look of distant appreciation. "God what a piece of junk. They must have found this thing when they salvaged MIR-3 in 2102." She assumed, her hands running over the aged metal with grace.

"Actually it was 2103." Olivia offered before she ducked down into herself, seeing the curious glare Raven shot her. "I enjoyed year seven history." She defended weakly, feeling a little bit better when the mechanic offered her a smile of friendliness.

"You want me to get a one-hundred-and-thirty-year-old spaceship ready to stand up to the inferno of re-entry in nine days?" Raven questioned, searching for clarification though there wasn't a single ounce of horror in her tone. She would accept the challenge, Olivia was sure by the way she refused to take her hand off the rusting metal.

"Can you do it or not?" Abby questioned, "Olivia knows a thing or two about its original origin, she can help."

Raven looked back at the younger Kane girl, a fond smile etching across her face as she fondled with the metal raven necklace hanging loosely before her shirt. "Hell yes I can do it, but I'm coming with you. You aren't the only one with someone you love on the ground. Those are my terms, take it or leave it."

Olivia watched as Raven stared blankly ahead at Abby, unwavering in her personal demands even when it looked as though the doctor was about to protest.

"Alright, you can come with me."

Raven smirked, walking towards the other end of the ship with a burning passion in her chocolate eye. "You got yourself a mechanic."

Olivia heaved a deep sigh, looking fearfully at Abby as she began to comprehend just how heavily this task sat upon her shoulders. Stepping closer to the women, she wrapped her arms around herself.

"If this goes south, my dad won't hesitate to float all three of us." She fret, catching Raven's attention. The mechanic frowned, taking that as her opportunity to properly address the rebellious teenager.

"It isn't going to go south." She promised, pulling a wrench out of her pocket with a wicked grin. "Now, help me loosen these bolts."