Just Another Day

"That mission was stupid". I said with a yawn. "Why do we always need to do these boring escort missions anyway".

Minato stopped mid stride and sighed heavily.

"We as Shinobi have a duty to our nations and villages to accept any mission that will keep peace and build stronger bonds".

"YEAH Kakashi". Obito spoke up with that mocking tone that he knew I hated. "It's our duty! Or did you forget from the last time that Minato-Sensei had to tell you?" he stuck his tongue out at me and that finally set me off.

I turned on my heels quickly ready to verbally strike back at the annoying Uchiha boy. He drove me insane with his cocky carefree attitude. He was a huge wimp to top it off! I don't know where he gets the idea that he can talk to me like that.

He doesn't know the first thing about being a REAL Shinobi.

As I was about to say that aloud Rin spoke up from behind me . "You two stop it, Kakashi just likes to complain."

"Geez Rin, why do you have to say things like that!" I let out an exasperated sigh. "You know as well as I do that I am serious about being a Shinobi, but I just want something that will make me stronger instead of all these filler missions."

Rin was right though; I complained a lot for someone that prides himself on being 'by the book' ... Sometimes it just gets to be too much to handle; ESPECIALLY when I'm teamed up with Obito the scaredy cat!

"Alright that's enough boys, lets all get back to Konoha". Minato-Sensei was always so cool about these things, he let us hash out our issues ourselves unless it got to violent during a mission.

We all agreed and picked up the pace, running home as quickly as we could.

I needed a shower and some sleep in my own bed.

I don't mind sleeping on the ground or a tree branch, but I just wanted to have some peace. We had a mission after mission for the past two months. Small requests were flooding the village lately and it was getting tiresome, we were in the middle of a great war so everyone was on their toes. Everyone needed escorted from village to village, nation to nation safely. That's where us young Shinobi came in handy, the Hokage wants us to be the last line of defense.

We arrived back in Konoha early the next morning. Our team had made no stops throughout the night, something generally not done in three person teams. The darkness held all kinds of dangers, especially in the times that we were living in. The war raging between the nations made every mission outside of the village dangerous to some extent. Enemy ninja could be lurking anywhere, ready to pounce when guards were down, nobody likes to be ambushed... and it could cost your entire team their lives.

But, even with that fact, we all just wanted to get home as soon as possible.

I wanted to be alone after the four days of being around my teammates and the whiney brat Kiriku that we had to escort to Iwagakure (the hidden stone village). Him and Obito got along nicely, not that it surprised me. They had things in common, such as not being able to fight.

I rolled my eyes at myself. I can be a jerk sometimes.

I knew we all were itching to be back in Konoha.

Minato-Sensei hadn't seen his wife in what seemed like months on end.

Obito and Rin had their own "business to attend to" whatever that meant. They could both be so secretive sometimes. Being the team captain and the Jonin in charge of my two teammates, I feel like I should know, but I didn't push the issue this time.

We all split up almost immediately after leaving the Hokage's office with our successful mission notice. Minato-Sensei would take care of the after-mission paperwork and we were all free to do as we pleased.

I waved my goodbye's to Obito and Rin. They took off in a hurry after saying their goodbye's and I couldn't help but wonder what they were up to.

I took my time walking home, taking a scenic route that brought me under a set of bridges that ran along the river. Leaning against the cold metal railing and looking at the water slowly flowing past, I finally felt a sense of peace that I had been needing for a long time.

The constant fighting not only with enemy forces, but with my own team was exhausting. I was looking forward to a break, no matter how short it could possibly be.

I sighed "why do things always have to be so difficult?"

...I felt like I was waiting for an answer from somewhere.

Of course, it never came...

I looked down at the water, it was barely moving, and I could see my reflection. Silver hair hung in my face under my headband with a messy spike upwards, and my undershirt that doubled at the covering of half of my face, coming up just above my nose, looked like it needed washed badly. I hate my eyes... they look just like my fathers...

Ugh...

I ruined my own good mood.

I kicked a pebble into the water off the embankment and watched my reflection ripple away. I shoved my hands into my pockets and turned to head toward home.

Till tomorrow.

I thought about how much I didn't want to be assigned another mission in the morning.

I really hope we weren't.