9: Change of hearts

Author's note: Sometimes I curse myself because I always take a story so seriously once I have started it. I want it to contain a complete plot, not skip over parts too lightly but it also makes it a bigger project requiring quite some effort. Really should try to keep to one-shots but it is impossible. Right now I'm a bit torn between wanting to give more substance to the amazing story we have already seen and moving on to what happens beyond episode 8. Well, we will get to it at some point if you have not given up by then. Perhaps you are bored by this reliving of the series, but I really enjoy getting inside their heads.

Another chapter shifting POV between the two, I hope you can follow and that you enjoy the read. Next is almost ready because it was part of this at first but got too long for my taste.

Chapter 9: Change of hearts

- o -

In which Charlotte and Sidney are struggling with conflicting emotions

- o -

Charlotte was rattled awake by the lurching carriage. Dazed and confused she looked up and for a moment was even more bewildered at the sight of Sidney Parker on the opposite seat, watching her intently.

"Where are we?" she asked sleepily.

"On the road to Scotland, tracking down Georgiana, remember?"

Then it all came back to her, last night and why they were here. His melodious voice was surprisingly soft and somehow made her feel like she was exactly where she wanted to be.

Mr. Parker looked a bit haggard, but just like the previous time she had seen him like that, it suited him. He was the kind of man that looked slightly dangerous in a handsome, thrilling way when he was not all polished up and perfect. Fleetingly she wondered what that stubbled jaw would feel like if her fingertips touched it, and if his tousled dark hair would feel soft or rough if she smoothed it over. Not that she ever would dare or even really wanted to. His looks made her self-consciously aware that she must look very disorderly, with crumpled dress, messy hair and a sleepy face and she was quite certain it was not to her advantage as it was to his. She sat up and tried to smooth out wrinkles on her clothes, tidy her curls a bit and put on the bonnet that had fallen off during the night.

He did not cease watching her and now she noticed there was something different about him. The rest of his appearance might be stern as usual, but the expression in his eyes had shifted since last night. He did not look at her as if she was flawed, like she did not know enough of the world, was too outspoken and did not dress the part of a lady. The unexpected warmth in his eyes made her feel like she was wrapped up in blanket; safe, protected and also a bit hot. She looked away, out the window and only now she registered it was daylight, which meant she must have slept for long.

"I never expected to sleep so well during a bumpy carriage ride, but I feel as if I have rested in the most comfortable bed, tucked in under a duvet and with my head on a fluffy pillow", she said astonished and returned her gaze to his face.

For some reason this made his cheeks flush slightly, but there was also a little smile playing on his lips. It struck her how soft and full those lips were. They could have been feminine if the rest of his features had not been so supremely masculine. Now they were just an enticing contrast to his chiselled jaw and stubble.

"I suppose the movements of the carriage rocked you to sleep."

"Did you sleep at all?"

"For a while yes, but mostly I have been awake."

"It must have been a dreadfully long and boring night for you. I hope at least I did not snore", she giggled insecurely. The thought of him watching her as she slept was disconcerting. Now he smiled fully.