One.

The people around the boardroom table reeked of power and wealth and the tension looming over the room was concerning.

The huge panoramic windows which blended well with the aura of the room offered Zayn to take in the breathtaking view of the city while giving the Tomlinsons a moment for the bombshell he just dropped on them.

Zayn never thought he'd be sitting in this very boardroom discussing business with The Tomlinsons, but life sure is packed with both pleasant and unpleasant surprises.

"Zayn... Malik?" Charlotte Tomlinson spoke, a bit unsure if she should proceed with the conversation just yet. He gave an abrupt nod as she settled down.

Zayn glanced at them in leisure study. He identified each in turn: Louis Tomlinson, Chief Financial Officer; his sister, Charlotte Tomlinson Prince; and her husband, Sam Prince and the current CEO of The Tomlinsons Wardrobes; and Simon Cowell, the company secretary.

Zayn didn't fail to notice the crisp business suits, the air of sophistication and privilege radiating as if they were born for it.

He shoved his not-so-professional bitterness out of his mind and focused on his game plan instead- sizing up the opponents.

The similarities between Louis and Charlotte were obvious: the light brown hair, the blue eyes. The only striking difference was, while Charlotte's eyes held optimistic caution, Louis Tomlinson's were exuding outright hostility. It was showing in every movement and gesture the man behaved within his thousand-dollar suit.

Zayn glanced across the room to where Simon Cowell sat. The two younger men, Sam and Louis, were now on their feet behind him as if standing gave them a psychological advantage.

Zayn had used that tactic more than a couple dozen times before.

"Your secretary, Taryn sent in the documents as well as the DNA tests yesterday," Sam Prince spoke up indicating to the others that they should take a seat now.

"And?" Zayn questioned the other two men.

" It turns out you are Yaser Malik's son."

They released a collective breath. The air got just as chilly with most of the freeze coming from the other two men who had battled for the CEO's position after Johannah's death.

Zayn steeled his features to betray nothing. Emotions meant vulnerability which the enemies could exploit you with at any point. Show nothing, reveal nothing.

"So Johannah was right all along," Charlotte finally said.

Sam shrugged. "Looks like it."

She frowned and opened her mouth to say something, but Louis interrupted.

"We asked you here to discuss a few things. One, your plans for Tomlinsons'." Louis spoke with an even tone, almost like hiding the emotional turmoil beneath. "And we'd like to make an offer for your shares."

Zayn stifled with surprise. Interesting. "I'm not selling."

"You haven't heard our bid."

"I don't need to."

"Listen, Malik. If this is about payback or revenge--"

"Why would it be?" Zayn raised an eyebrow.

The men exchanged glances at each other, regrouping. Charlotte finally said slowly, "See it from our side. You and Ryan Reynolds are close. There's been a long history of animosity between him and Johannah--"

Zayn smiled, an action he knew would throw them off balance. "Not my problem. I'm sure you have had me researched. So you know I don't let personal feelings stand in the way."