Nine (2)

"Engaged."

Harry nodded as Lottie stood from behind her desk and repeated the word again like a spell. "That was..." Lottie hesitated then looked at Harry straight in the eyes and said carefully, "sudden."

"Sometimes you just have to seize the day." Zayn took Harry's hand, nearly startling him, and smiled.

Harry swallowed, caught up in the glow of that simple act, the way Zayn's face transformed into something that stole the uncertainty from his lips. How good an actor was he?

Harry returned Zayn's smile, which he took in his pace, squeezing Harry's hand in acknowledgement.

"Well, Zayn is nothing but unpredictable," Lottie finally said, walking over to place a congratulatory kiss on Harry's cheek. When she pulled back, she scanned Harry's face, her eyes radiating concern.

Harry offered a smile and met his look head-on. "Given the time-frame, we should announce it a week out from the ball."

At Lottie's silence, Harry added hastily, "You've seen the media with this. We want the ball to get as much publicity as possible before diverting attention elsewhere."

Lottie nodded and sat on the corner of her desk. "Okay. I've emailed you the final guest list, so after the invites go out, you can make that public. If you need anything, let me know."

"Thanks." For one second, Harry thought Charlotte would add something more, but instead, she let them go without further interrogation.

"Do you think she bought it?" Zayn asked Harry as they walked down the corridor to their office.

"Probably not."

"I wanted to tell her the truth."

"No."

"Why not?"

Harry walked through the glass doors, his back straight. "Because it's embarrassing, okay? Normal, well-adjusted people date, fall in love and get married. They don't coldly sign a contract for mutual gain."

Zayn smiled at his resentment. "You're one of the most normal, well-adjusted people I've met, Harry."

"Am I?"

Harry didn't need to be a mind reader to work out just what was going through Zayn's head as they stood there. He blinked slowly, desperate to hide his expression, but his body betrayed him. He felt the heat blossom across his cheeks, spreading warmth into his limbs.

Just when Harry thought Zayn was about to say something, his phone rang. He tapped it, said, "I'm on my way," and dropped a hurried kiss on Harry's cheek before he strode out of the door.

Harry's fingers traced the rapidly cooling warmth where Zayn's lips had just met his skin.

Harry had been dismissed, and just as quickly, his heart began to pound in irritation.

He tried not to let it get to him, to focus on the ball preparations, but like a nasty, annoying itch, he kept returning to the irritation. Was this an indication of things to come- an abnormal marriage, made from an abnormal deal?

Harry would be a professional husband, all show and smiles, Zayn's escort to all the proper functions. There would be no intimacy outside the public eye, no sudden romantic gestures, no happy-ever-after dreams that he had envisioned all his teenage life. No promises of everlasting love.

Why should that upset Harry?

He squeezed his eyes shut and breathed deeply. You need to get real, Harry. That's not going to happen. There would be no physical contact unless he told Zayn he wanted it, like last night.