Eleven

The remaining days leading up to the charity ball passed in one big blur. Harry felt as if he was walking on air, as if sheer joy radiated from him like a tiny sun. First Eleanor, then Lottie, had commented on his "glow," a comment that brought an embarrassing flush to his cheeks.

As expected, their engagement announcement the week before had prompted an almost unwholesome amount of publicity. Tomlinsons' had been flooded with requests for interviews, photoshoots, exclusives. And every time, Zayn had told Harry to refuse them. Their silence only exacerbated the mysterious secrecy surrounding their initial announcement, which, from a publicity point of view, couldn't have been more perfect in its timing. Instead of takeovers and Zayn's chequered past, the papers were now speculating on wedding suits, honeymoons, whether the charity ball was really a cover for their secret wedding receptions and most importantly, the most roaring speculation being Zayn Malik suddenly opting for a change of sexuality. Reporters made various calls inquiring if Zayn had more dirty secrets in his closet, or were his past lovers just beards and whatnot, but Zayn didn't mind it at all since he had none.

As Zayn had promised, Xander was charged with multiple contract violations and issued with a gag order. "Along with some subtly aimed threats," Lottie had confided into Harry. To Harry's amazement, he and Lottie had quickly formed a strong bond, sharing more than just business-related topics as they worked towards the impending date of the charity ball. Eleanor had also made a habit of lunching with him every Friday, which touched Harry more deeply than he wanted to admit.

It was bittersweet, this sudden and immediate acceptance into the Tomlinson-Malik clan, yet he refused to dwell on the broader implications. For once in his life, he wasn't planning, scheduling and budgeting for the future, and he discovered he actually liked the feeling of not knowing what the future held.

At least, most of the future, anyway.

Zayn was in meetings all day, either at Tomlinsons' or J-Industries and when he finally came home, he segregated himself in his office.

Despite Harry's disappointment because he couldn't lay his claim on him publicly, to show him off in a crowd of women, the nights more than made up for it. They made love with a deep explosive passion, almost desperate in its intensity. Afterwards, in the dark, Zayn revealed tidbits of how his life had been like, how he'd come to scale the dizzying heights. Harry treasured those moments, storing them deep inside, knowing how it took for this intensely private man to open up, even a little.

It meant hope to Harry, however meagre.

Many nights the words I love you dangled on the tip of his tongue, but he always ended up swallowing them. Yes, Harry desperately wanted to tell Zayn how he felt. But Harry was also afraid. Afraid it would further add to what was already a complicated situation. That Zayn wouldn't believe him, and he would drive Zayn away.

Afraid he'd lose whatever little Zayn offered him.

So, instead, Harry showed him. With his body, his hands, his lips, he showed Zayn how desperately Harry loved him. It had to be enough for now.

And all too quickly, the night of the charity ball rolled around. Zayn was on the phone when Harry returned from his hair appointment. Zayn caught a brief glimpse as Harry darted up the stairs, and when Zayn had followed Harry to the bedroom, found the door firmly closed, Harry's "don't come in!" full warning when he twisted the doorknob.

"I'll be in the kitchen," Zayn replied through the door, glad that he stood already dressed.

*Harry is in the white Gucci jumpsuit he wore at the 2020 Brits**And as you all know, Zayn is in the BBC Music Awards outfit, the infamous 'loose strand of hair' outfit*