eight

marcel ;

i was holding a machine gun. an actual live machine gun. all the times that i had played gun games dad sometimes disapproved of were running through my mind and pride must have been coming off of me as he watched me. 

i watched one bullet hit one of the motorcyclists wheels and he skidded out, another motorcyclist slowing to a stop and being left behind to help his friend.

the happiness of one of my dreams of holding an actual gun wore off as i zoned back in on ashton's plan. so far i had liked ashton. he seemed straight, not one to beat around the bush with us but a good man, he had saved us after all. i kept wondering what his reasoning for being out on purge night was if he wasn't trying to kill us.

"our best bet is the underground, a place they can't get to easily with their vehicles and i can imagine those vehicles meaning a lot to them... if i pull to a stop and we climb out of the right side and as fast as possible run into the enterance."

"what about you?" the man who's name i had forgotten asked. he sat on the other side of my dad but i didn't look at him long, he didn't seem important to me.

"i'm going to get out and walk around the front of the car with the machine gun which is currently in marcel's hands." i was still shooting as he said this, failing to actually hit out any more wheels. i didn't want to hit any person so aimed low.

"kid," i paused, turning to look into the car. "when i shout to get ready, you pull in and throw that gun at me, no matter what or how close you are to shooting out someone." i nodded, resisting the urge to sass him and salute.

we kept driving and i kept shooting every time we had a long enough straight piece of road to have a chance of hitting anything. i was preparing myself to throw the gun back into the car and scramble out.

"get ready..." the car was slowing slightly, barely enought to notice as i turned to push the gun towards ashton who caught it neatly. the car then skidded to a halt as he shouted now, all of us scrambling for the doors.

my dad's arm was around me, his figure bent slightly over me as we ran together. if we survived this, i knew i was going to tease and moan at him for babying me but the truth was having him there was allowing me to hold together.

we made it in but didn't stop till we were all at the bottom of the steps, waiting in the darkness and staring back up for the figure of ashton to come running down after us.

alyssa ;

"run!" calum shouted, all of us bolting for the safety which we hoped the next station could bring us.

i stood shell shocked for a second, watching a homeless man who had obviousy come down here for safety, run towards me. shock was evident on his face as he ran from the buggy but he was too close to stand any chance.

a flamethrower lit up the dark tunnel as a rat the size of a cat skidded across the homeless man's feet, making him tumble back into the flames. that was when calum had grabbed my arm and pulled me, my legs worked at their own accord.

i could hear the man's screams as we ran and the laughs from the ones on the buggy.

blair was already up onto the next station platform, alex having helped her up as we approached. instantly calum placed me up onto the platform realising i wasn't going to have the strength to do it myself after watching someone be brutally murdered.

they were getting closer, obviously having finished. the smell of burnt hair and cooked flesh was wafting towards me and it took all my strength not to throw up then and there.

calum had clambered up after me and i watched as he turned to lend a hand to alex. he was brave. i wasn't. i was scrambling away as best i could without getting up, hoping to god i was far out of reach of the fire.

he was standing there longer than needed though and i tried to push past the shouts and woops of the men to hear him calling to alex.

"come here, you'll get yourself killed!" he was refusing to climb down himself, thankfully not willing enough to save her and sacrifice himself. he turned slightly to look at blair, probably hoping she'd help.

"these fuckers are similar to the ones who killed our sister!" i could hear her, meaning she must have been close to calum. my suspicions were confirmed when the gun he had left by his feet disappeared and started to fire.

the gun shots drowned out blair's shouts for her sister but calum held her back, pushed her over to me and forced her down. he sat basically on top of us, trying to shield us from seeing alex and from the men seeing us.

the smell of cook fleshed became more prominant as we sat still. i listened to the men get quieter as they moved on and the sobs of a girl who had lost two sisters to the same night, two years in a row.