Chapter 17: Heartbeats Only Last So Long

Alex

My eyes slowly opened, much against my demise. My face hurt. My side hurt. My everything hurt. I groaned and put a hand on my forehead. When my eyes adjusted to the lighting in the room, I realized there were wires hanging from my arm and hand. An IV was connected to my hand and some other needles were in my arm. I looked around.

I was in a hospital room.

It was small and old looking. Like a old lady's bedroom from the 1800's. It was dark outside, and a single light came in from the hallway, I could see from the open door. The doctor stood partially in the doorway talking to someone outside. They were crying, I couldn't see their face, but I could hear them sniffling. The heart monitor beeped at a steady rate.

I opened my mouth to get the doctors attention but my throat was so dry, I was basically wheezing.

A few minutes passed and the doctor disappeared into the hallway. A figure stepped into the room.

"Oh mon ami,"

It was Laf.

"What happened to you, please wake up,"

He said, he sounded like he had been crying. I don't think he knew I was awake.

"H-hey Laf," I tried, my voice dry and cracky.

He shot his head up.

"A-Alex y-you're awake!" He said, a smile creeping onto his face.

He ran over and popped his head out of the door.

"Guys, he's awake!" He shouted.

There was some shuffling and John, James, Peggy and Thomas shuffled into the room. Johns eyes filled with tears. He ran over to me and embraced me tightly. I winced, as there was a sharp pain in my neck and side. He jumped back quickly.

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry did I hurt you!?" He asked, worry surrounding his words.

I chuckled.

"Nope, your just fine,"

He hugged me again, this time more gentle.

"Never leave me like that again," he said his voice cracking with tears.

I hugged back weakly.

"W-what happened?" I asked. James stepped forward.

"You showed up at Hercs apartment and collapsed in the doorway. You looked terrible and we rushed you to the hospital. The doctors said you had critical injuries and had to rush you into surgery. You've been out for three days," he said.

"I was worried you weren't going to wake up," John said with a sniffle. By this time he had climbed into my hospital bed and curled up next to me, twirling his fingers through my hair.

"The doctors said it was possible that you could have slipped into a coma," Peggy said gripping Lafs arm tightly.

"But I'm awake now. Thanks you guys for staying with me," I said trying to hold back tears. My eyes locked with Thomas. We had a short glare off before he stepped forward and spoke.

"We wanted to make sure you're ok," he mumbled, looking away from me. James stepped over and took his hand, he happily complied. I looked at John.

"Where's Herc?" I asked

I swear I saw Laf flinch at his name but John got up and walked to the doorway.

"Herc, he will see you now," John said out the door. He skipped back over and curled back up next to me, reaching his hand towards mine. I gladly took it.