I Don't Think I Like You Watching Me Kill

Day 2

2016, Location: Streets of Al Anbar, Iraq

The Humvee rocked the pair inside as it went over the poorly paved road. With only the pair and a driver, the ride was quiet with only Eden's hush talking. "No flash-photography, it could reflect and catch someone's attention which would lead to a bad time for everyone involved," she explained to the reporter as she watched her fiddle with her camera. That seemed to be a thing the pale woman did a lot, the sniper silently noted; a nervous tick perhaps?

Ms. James said nothing, just shot a brief smile but otherwise stayed quiet.

The sun was just rising, but the heat was already starting to begin stifling the air inside the vehicle. Giving a glance out the tinted windows, Eden slid her sunglasses on and crossed her arms, might as well try and get some shut eye.

---

"Ms. James, up here please," Eden asked her, shifting on the cooling system that she was using as a sniper's nest. With a mattress from a room downstairs it was already a much better spot then what she could usually get.

Patrols were necessary at this point of pushing with the war, Al Anbar was a necessity on both sides of the fight, supplying a straight route from the Syrian border all the way to Baghand and other bigger cities. A route they needed to stop, which was the reason for Eden's now setting up camp in the midst of the sandy city.

"You can drop the formalities and just call me Willow." She complained as she kneeled next to Eden, notepad resting on her knee.

The sniper said nothing but slightly chuckled, still setting up her equipment.

After a few minutes of nothing but the early morning wind the reporter spoke up. "This thing is heavy as hell," Willow said, trying to start up a conversation, referring to the bulletproof vest she had put on the hour before in the humvee.

"Welcome to Iraq," Summers responded. "It's hot, sandy and people like to get shot."

The sun slowly rose as Eden kept watch and Willow wrote something down her notebook. "How long have you been serving?" Willow asked randomly, glancing at the officer.

Eden shifted at her spot, having to think back for a few. "6 years, joined right when I was 18 in 2011.. My Ma' died just a few months shy of my birthday. Decided to follow my brother's footsteps."

"And why a sniper?"

"Only thing that interested me to an extent."

Willow continued to ask questions such as "How long are you out here?" too even ones such as "How do you think your job changed your mortality with life?" (That one took her a hot minute to even come up with an answer that wasn't just static.) Eden tried to give proper responses the best she could while also keeping watch.

No one was going in or out, even if they were still here by the time noon hit. Willow had moved from simply sitting next to her on the roof to next to the petty officer on her on the box. While the majority were evacuated after the 1st sea of forces, there still laid pods and such of the not so good people. Those were the ones that Eden had to keep an eye out for. Willow was going to ask another question when like rain in a clear sky, a shot rang out in the square they were watching.

Eden softly cussed and pushed Willow so she was laying down on the unit. "Stay down," She hissed sharply at the reporter, then looked into the square.

In the shadows of the church stood a man with what looked like a hunting rifle aimed at the building on their 8 'olk. "What the hell is he shooting at?" Willow muttered as she watched as well.