Chapter 04: The Song of the Despaired

The Life and Times of an Average Coward

Chapter 04: The Song of the Despaired

*-*-*-*-*

It's done.

I stared at the hole I've dug before me, not quite deep as I wanted it to go but it will do.

It'll do for now at least.

My dull swollen eyes spared a glance at the not-so-bloodied corpse beside me, and my eyes started to burn something fierce, but I refused to let a single tear fall.

Daiki looks peaceful, I've cleaned his face as much as I can with my shaking hands then proceeded to drag him all the way here outside, not to faraway from the porch- there's so much strength a little three year old kid could have. It was beside the bed of blooming white spider lilies and lily of the valleys that Kaa-san (Mama too loves those little white bell-like flowers, I just remembered the flower's name) loves so much.

It took me hours to drag/push/pull him all the way here and another few hours to dig a decent sized hole.

I need to bury them.

I glanced at the ashen colored arm that was beside the burly man. It was what was left of Kaa-san when she was eaten whole by that thing. The only reason for it not being in the gullet of that monster was because it was left beside the doorstep, detached from the body. Probably from the first monster who attacked her.

I closed my eyes to inhale deeply, iron and something rotting was in the air. I could hear the mocking peacefullness of the forest around me, like nothing horrendous just happened last night.

(Like it was just a bad dream.)

"I love you my Songbird."

"What are ya lookin' at brat?! Afraid of a little height?"

I opened my eyes and calmly went to the other side of Daiki. With much effort, I pushed him towards the dug out hole, he rolled for a moment until he settled at the middle to where it was deeper. Carefully, I bent down to pick up the cold limb that was beside my feet, staring at it for a moment with morbid detachment.

This hand used to be warm.

"I love you Senritsu, always remember that."

Staggering and almost loosing my balance, I stood up and faced the hole, eyeing it.

I let the cold limb fall from my hands, joining Daiki in the makeshift grave.

I'm sorry, this will have to do for now.

I knelt down on the dirt, my clothes were already dirty so I didn't bother to be careful. The dirt was cool, slighly damp from the leftover morning dew, it wasn't hot even if it was noon. The cloud cover, the whispers of the wind and the sound of hurried little animals signifies that it's going to rain later. I could feel the exhaustion, the lack of sleep driving me down but I can't rest just yet. I need to finish it up. I need to bury them, it was what they deserve.