Chapter 08: Lost and Something New

The Life and Times of an Average Coward

Chapter 08: Lost and Something New

*-*-*-*-*

At my tender age of eight, this must've been the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life next to agreeing to train how to kill vampiric monsters. Another freaking Jojo reference in my new life.

Shit, where am I? How do I go back to Jii-chan?!

You see, I am currently lost in the woods. Correction, the woods of the mountain that the dumbass me decided to scale because it reminded me somewhat of Mt. Sagiri.

How the hell it reminded me of the bamboo mountain forest I would never know but in my frantic mind earlier it kinda looked like the mountain that I've always called home. Maybe I was hallucinating a bit at that time too and I wouldn't be surprised since I'm crying rivers that could have led to dehydration that then resulted the lack of oxygen in my brain that kept my spatial awareness in check.

This place is hella scary, I could almost feel the eyes that were glaring at me at every corner and the sound of breathing that gave the forest its life leering down on my neck, the predators waiting for the right opportune moment to pounce on a weakass prey such as myself.

Goddamnit! I-I shouldn't have run away! If only, if only I'm not such a fucking coward!

Disgust, guilt, fear and a good dollop of self-loathing entered me, eyes prickling once again, burning from the want to just curl up and weep like the pathetic small human that I am. Insignificant, small and – Useless little bitch! Useless just like that fucking piano that you love to play! It's all your fault why I'm stuck in this fucking marriage! It's all your fault that your bitch of a Mother doesn't want to fuck with me – patheticpatheticpatheticpatheticpathet

A hand grabbed my shoulder. "Are you alright child?"

The scream that left me was pretty much expected and the looming face of a white eyed giant with a creepy forest backdrop had my brain halting functions and my heart going into a fucking pumping marathon in a second that left me with a frothing mouth and a blackening vision.

I passed out without much extra thought other than, shit.

*-*-*-*-*

He panted, his bones filled with deep exhaustion – a two or five of them might be even broken, he doesn't care or even remember where he had gotten them broken – gashes deep and shallow littered his skin that had his uniform tattered in some places, blood marking his pale skin.

Maybe he should have listened to the talking bird with long lashes and let himself rest in a house that caters to demon slayers. What was the symbol of that family again? Something to do with flowers? He doesn't know nor he remembers.

He'd always been like that.

Forgetful. He doesn't even remember his own past, his family or who he really was.

All he does retain was that he needs to defeat all these demons, a deep seethed hatred towards them and that he served under Oyakata-sama and is in debt with the man for helping him gain purpose.

He instinctively ducked under a swipe of a claw.

Oh right, I am battling a demon right now.

"Quit dodging pest and let me eat you!" The small gray-skinned demon with three mouths lounged at him with great speed nicking his right shoulder.