N I N E

Alexa

"Why in the world do you have detention?" Elliot asked Michael and me at the end of the school day. He had a disproving look on his face, while Jackson seemed to find this whole thing amusing.

"Late to class," Michael said. "No big deal."

"That's it?" Jackson said. "You might as well just have punched somebody. Honestly, Ms. Kiz is so over the top."

"Why were you late?" Elliot asked.

"No reason," I answered before Michael could. "We have to go or else we'll be late for detention and that won't be good, so yeah... Bye."

I walked away, not waiting for Michael to follow but knowing that he is. I didn't stop till I made it to Ms. Kiz's class, Michael following me like a obedient server doing my every bidding.

Ms. Kiz glared at us when we walked in, even though we weren't late (we had two minutes left to get here).

To no surprise, Blake and Ethan weren't in detention as well. Ms. Kiz is the only one that actually gives out detentions for being late only once. Well, Michael may have been tardy more times, but me? Of course not.

I sit down in my usual seat. Michael was about to sit next to me when Ms. Kiz yelled, "You are not sitting together! You could be talking or kissing or making babies! But not on my watch you won't!"

"Um..." I wasn't sure how to respond.

Michael snorted. "Okay, lady," he said. But nevertheless, he took another seat away from where I was currently sitting.

This is so fucking boring.

Is detention supposed to be so fucking boring?

Does detention have to be so fucking boring?

I sat, twiddling with my thumbs, wishing the hour would be up and I could just go home. I wonder what my stepbrothers think, with me not being home now. They must be elated. I'll disappoint them when I go home.

Ms. Kiz stood up from her chair. "Listen here, I'll have to run some errands. No funny business, you hear me?"

No answer.

"WELL?!"

"Yes, Ms. Kiz," Michael and I say in unison, both of our voices showing boredom. When Ms. Kiz left, Michael came over with a grin.

"What do you say?" Michael asked. "Wanna skip out? Meet up with the others and have some fun?"

I looked at Michael with a raised eyebrow. "We'll get into trouble." This could be extremely deadly for me. "But you can go..." Then I'll be all alone. Again. I don't want to be alone, but...

"Come with me, Lexi," Michael says, causing me to tense up. Only Andrew and Blake calls me Lexi, for different reasons, of course. I stared at Michael. The way he said it reminds me of Andrew, which brought me pain.

"Don't call me Lexi, Michael," I tell him. "Please don't."

Michael looked at me in concern. "Okay... Alexa. So c'mon."

I sighed. Is this a good idea? Probably not. Am I going to anyways? Hell yeah!

"Okay, I'm in."

***

I was a giggly mess when Michael and I managed to escape. Of course I was still mega nervous this will just come back to bite me in the ass, but I never had friends to sneak out and have fun with. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.