T H I R T Y - T H R E E

Alexa

"You saved Ryder's life?!"

Michael and Jackson scowled at each other, clearly not liking the fact that they just said the same thing at the same exact time.

I sat across from them, sitting next to Elliot at the Pizza Palace. With pizza in front of our faces, I told them why I was late to meeting with them, which included the part where I saved Ryder's life.

Jackson and Michael were gaping at me, eyes wide. I wish that I took a picture right then and there, because their faces were priceless and they wouldn't like having identical expressions on their faces.

Elliot, on the other hand, simply stared at me with the blank face that he often had, but his eyebrow was slightly raised. Goodness, it wouldn't hurt to show some emotions when necessary.

"Yes, I did, that's what I said," I told them, taking a careful bite of my pizza, chewing it then forcing myself to swallow. This time I got sausage. It was good as usual, but there's a nagging feeling in the back of my head that i couldn't quite place.

"But why?" Michael asked, wrinkling his eyebrows. "He's so mean to you. No one would've blamed you if he got ran over!"

"Yeah!" Jackson said. "And I don't agree with Michael often, so you know we're right."

I pursed my lips. "Yeah... no, I don't think so," I said, shrugging my shoulders. "I would've blamed me. I mean, I was literally right there. I had to do something."

"Yeah, like advert your eyes," Elliot muttered.

I stared at him, a little shocked. "Oh my god, did you just say a joke?"

"It wasn't a joke."

"Oh," I said. "Come on, you guys, I couldn't just do nothing. I'm sure any of you would have done the same thing in my shoes."

"Nope."

"No."

"I'd laugh... Walt, was that too honest?"

"Yes," I told Michael drily, who didn't seem at all ashamed. "Listen, it's all ready in the past. Let's just move on and stop talking about the fact that you are so wanting death on Ryder."

"Can you blame us?" Jackson questioned.

"I suppose not," I told them. "Still, though, I don't regret my decision."

"It's his own damn fault," Michael pointed out. "He was the one in the street."

"Well, that's true," I agreed. "But... mistakes happen..."

"Idiotic mistakes." Elliot rolled his eyes.

"Again, that is true," I said.

***

After eating at the Pizza Palace with my friends, who still didn't understand my reasonings, but I suppose deep down even I don't. It was the decent human thing to do, and I don't really think that it's a big deal.

They said that they wouldn't have done the same thing, but I know that's bullshit, because they're good people, truly. Their egos just won't allow them to see reason.

I sighed. It was well after five, which meant that my dad must be conked out. Ever since I made friends with these guys (and the fact that he remarried) it has been so much easier to stay out of his path.

My life has gotten somewhat easier, though my life isn't sunshine and rainbows. I still have to deal with bully stepbrothers — Zach and Ryder — and bully classmates. I'm waiting for Ethan to do something; there's no way that he's just throwing away years of torment down the drain, no matter how much I may really and truly want him to.